Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

anonymous blog of a man living w/ a "longterm binge alcoholic"

Old 07-05-2010, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is a diary of disease, I stumbled upon. Not just the alcoholic's disease is shown here in graphic detail, but the disease of the man writing it. It's clear he's settled for a totally dysfunctional life, and to me, that is more disturbing to read about than the actions of the woman he is with.

I'm not really sure how anyone who has the choice to leave or stay w/an alcoholic can consider themselves a "victim" - to me they are a "willing participant." I know I was, off and on for 3 yrs. I would never look at myself as a victim, but he is deep in the throes of his disease.

The Diary of a Victim of an Alcoholic
Old 07-05-2010, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

very sad and disturbing
Old 07-05-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes it is. I figure, we can all probably relate to a lot of the things he says on many levels.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting the link. Sad to say the least. I feel empathy for this man but just like all of us we have choices. Maybe not easy ones but choices none the less.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, as I read further into his blog, it started to bug me that he called himself a "victim." It's more like, a willing participant who has somehow deluded himself for 8 yrs that his wife is getting better, by him staying with her...?? Yet he continually reports on her severe health problems, and her frequent weeklong binges...

It's a very sad look into the depths of the lies someone will tell themselves to tolerate an insane situation because, as he himself admitted, he's afraid to be alone. Or he feels he can't find someone else.