Notices

Yesterdays BBQ

Old 07-05-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yesterdays BBQ

After 2 1/2 years sober I had to leave a friends BBQ after staying only about an hour. They were mixing mararitas and drinking beer and still to this day it made me feel uncomfortable. I was honest as she is a good friend and told her why I was leaving. Instead my husband and I took in a movie and went out for dinner.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You should still look at it as a success.

I really wish alcohol wasn't so ingrained in our culture. There is pressure to drink in nearly every social situation. While I'd like to have a more positive outlook on it, the two choices are to give in or to resist the temptation and feel excluded and miserable around those who are inebriated.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hope you enjoyed the movie...

Often, in my own experience, drinking was the central activity at a barbeque... and as I am on vacation... and look at people having cook outs... I realize I am not anxious to be at one... give me a concert, a bicycle or a canoe and fishin' pole... I wanna DO something, not just watch people drink.

I get it toomutch... Glad you have a supportive spouse!
Old 07-05-2010, 08:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Thanks for your post. Yesterday was rough for me too (I'm still in early stages, 77 days). But at the end of the day, I was glad to be sober.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I definite need to learn from you..........
Old 07-05-2010, 11:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, I've found myself in that same place. Most of the time I know if there's going to be alcohol and I decide to go or not to go, but knowing when it's time to RUN is good.

Hope you all had a nice dinner, quite frankly, the latter of what you did sounds a lot more relaxing and fun. Good for you Girl.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Toomutch, I know you are having a really rough time lately, so I think you should look at that as an important success too. It's great that you stay out of what can make things worse for you.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
part time member

I think that is great that you left when you felt uncomfortable. We shouldn't care what other people think..remember this is "our" recovery. Good for you!! I hope I can do the same. I am still excluding myself from some situations. 4th party was here yesterday and it was all good...the lemonade was just wonderful!