Notices

Fell off...

Old 07-04-2010, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fell off...

I went two weeks of sobriety and then completely fell off. Here I am again trying to get sober, and drinking way to much coffee instead. I went to the doctor and got some antidepressants, and talked with them for a while. Just giving a go I guess. I want this, I want to be happier, healthier, and enjoy life again. I feel like drinking has held me back. I used to have a blast, I had a huge group of friends in college (and oh boy we boozed it up), but then afterward I seemed to be able to control it better. I wouldn't binge drink and only drink on the weekends. Then some emotional pitfalls happened and for the past two years, and I've really hit the bottle. Thankfully my health is not as bad as it could be. I just want my life to feel like it did before drinking.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcoholism is a progressive thing Glyon - that's why many of us are bewildered when we used to be able to 'handle it' and find we can't anymore.

I'm sorry you fell, but many of us have had a stumble or two - learn from your mistakes, work out what you need to do better - get some more support maybe? AA or some other group, or some counselling? - then move on and start again.

Welcome back
D
Old 07-04-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wink

well come back onto our wagon, and learn from the past, however do not torture you, people are human and make mistakes, learn, move on and improve
Old 07-04-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glyon1, drinking is different for everyone. I had some friends who could bomb out on the weekends and bounce back like whatever. They didn't even care about the things they did on the weekend.

You're being smart when you think about how drinking affects you behaviour and your life.

It's just a drink.

Think about how that drink affects your life.

I spend a lot of my time thinking about it; and I wish I had thought about it when I was younger, so please forgive me if this sounds kind of preachy.

Best,

spryte
Old 07-04-2010, 03:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It would be wonderful if we could see the invisible line of addiction, before we cross it. I was shocked to realize that I couldn't stop drinking when I decided to.

I'm glad you talked to your dr and that you are seeking support here.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support. And Spryte--I appreciate stories from other people's experience. I don't feel so alone and I appreciate the wisdom.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi glyon - I'm glad you decided to come back and try again. I finally learned alcohol wasn't going to give me what I really needed, either. I like what spryte said:
It's just a drink.
It's not worth it. We can't turn our lives over to it anymore, especially since it can only get worse. Hang in there and keep posting!!
Old 07-04-2010, 06:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Every failure makes your stronger for the next time. Sounds like your taking all the right steps. I know I look at mine as blessings.......I learned something about myself each time I stumbled. Hopefully I got it right this time. Point being your starting again and that shows you have the strength to whip this demon.

Good going!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Alcoholic depression is why I decided to join AA.
I was also interested in finding new sober friends
who supported my efforts.....

Worked out great for me....
Welcome back to SR

BTW...check your new meds as some are dangerous
when alcohol is in your system.