Notices

Advice with difficulties

Old 07-01-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grab the wheel!

Advice with difficulties

Hey all,

I'm new, struggling - had 9 days - thought I could do ok - didn't, reminded myself why I took on 9 days in the first place. Now on day 3. I cannot beleive how tempermental I've been the last two nights. The mornings are great, I'm super productive and happy, coffee never tasted better. Then by the time I get home to the reasons I need to stay sober (1st and 3rd grade wonderful kids), the smallest thing sets me off. My son is high functioning Autistic, and just a couple hours ago freaked out over a fairly pedestrian meltdown, this is crazy, I'm never the one who snaps. Is it because this is when I'd usually start "taking the edge off?" Anyone have bad mood swings the first week? If so, how long did it take to find stability? I'm not interested in meds, just hoping for a "light at the end of the tunnel" similar story to let me know this is normal. The preoccupation and moodswings are emotionally exhausting, didn't know it'd be this bad.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I had bad mood swings for a lot longer than a week.

It took me quite awhile to get on an even keel. I had to learn how to deal with life without benefit of alcohol to take the edge off things. Be patient with yourself and you'll get through this.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I definitely had mood swings and irritability the first few weeks. Actually, the first week I felt a little overwhelmed, even with little things. I really had to try to minimize the stress (which is hard to do with children, I know!). I'm sure it was a part of getting off alcohol.

The good news is that it's gotten so much better - a little better every day and now I find that I don't have nearly as much anxiety and can even respond to stressful things much better than I did when I was drinking. So, keep going - you'll be glad you did!!
Old 07-01-2010, 07:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi StLSMD

Mood swings are very normal...and they can last a little while...

If you're like me you drank for years...I think it stands to reason it will take more than a few days for our mind and body to recover and heal....but they will, I guarantee it.

I found I had to be very patient in early sobriety...I wasn't very good at it in the beginning LOL but I got better.

D
Old 07-01-2010, 07:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Most have told me that the beginning of sobriety sucks, and that it's supposed to be hard. Good luck.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

depended on my doc. When I came off meth my mood swings were totally gone after 3 or 4 weeks. When I came off opitates my mood swings were there more like 3-4 weeks. One thing for me I learned was KEY. Don't do the sugar overload thing. I mean try to make healthy choices with your foods. It is easy to numb out on tons of sugar and carbs, but for me it really did prolong my mood swings. For me when I detoxed the last time after having gone out for a month almost 8 months ago I took really good care of myself. I ate a balanced diet of carbs, protein, veggies, and kept the junk food to a limit. I drank lots of water, and took a multivitamin and I felt better much quicker...and guess what? The food thing has become a way of life for me! I am much healthier and the cravings to drink or use have left almost entirely now! I don't know what others think about diet making a difference, but in my case it has big time!

Blessings, Sheila
Old 07-01-2010, 07:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Most have told me that the beginning of sobriety sucks, and that it's supposed to be hard. Good luck.
...but it sucks less and is easier than drinking, IMO

D
Old 07-01-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You are still in the initial de tox period
that's a difficult time for most of us....

Good to see you...
Old 07-01-2010, 09:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grab the wheel!

Thank for the responses

I really appreciate taking the time to respond, it's a great place to turn to.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As others have said, the intensity of the mood swings can be really hard during the first few weeks but it does even out. The biggest thing that helped me was not being hungry at that time of day. I tried to make sure I didn't have anything in the afternoon that would make me crash in the early evening (sugar, caffeine, refined carbs). Being wound up from the day is also a big factor. I'm learning how to do breathing exercises. They do seem to calm me down and I wake up the next day with no hangover.