Notices

Thanks for being there for me...

Old 06-30-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thanks for being there for me...

This is just a post to express my continual gratitude to SR and all of the good people that post and inspire me on a daily basis.

It really comforts me to know that I can go to read all of the posts on SR and know that the responses and replies are written by decent, honest, caring people who I can relate to 100%. It really helps me. I feel so connected to many on this site.

I am going through the 'next phase' of my recovery. I got to 9 months and decided that I was ready to start working on and facing particular 'issues' that I have regarding my mental health/life. Like everything in my recovery I made that conscious choice when I felt ready.

I am truly looking forward to when I feel totally free and I will know when that day arives. Like my recovery I suspect it will happen organically and there will be no 'eureka' moment so to speak but just a lovely realisation that things have sorted themselves out. Much like the desire/compulsion to use alcohol/drugs being removed.

It ain't easy facing and raking up difficult issues but it's gotta be done and I want to be free. I am so grateful for knowing that SR is always there for me and to be able to come-down naturally from anxiety and uncomfortable feelings/emotions without any desire/thoughts to numb them out.

I have had a great recovery journey so far and it's in a large part thanks to you people at SR who have supported and inspired me throughout.

So thankyou. I am feeling a little raw at the moment but remarkably not too bad considering I couldn't face this stuff for many, many years.

Peace and Love xxx
Old 06-30-2010, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Neo; I always enjoy reading your thoughts too....you contribute much to this site.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Neo, thanks for sharing your journey with us. I didn't have that "eureka" moment either, just an overall sense of peace and serenity that alcohol could never give me. It truly does get better and better
Old 06-30-2010, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Ah, Neo! Your posts always make me smile.

I think around 9 months is when I started 'feeling' okay. Nothing earth shattering...just okay...dare I say 'normal'?

It is just change in progress. And so welcome! The part of sobriety that I find rewarding....is the working on yourself in a Positive way, part. Kind of selfish...but wow, so needed (not to mention eye opening).

I am so in awe that you have come so far at your age. I'd love to introduce you to my family....so they know they can know that a sober life can be so fulfilling.

Thanks, Neo.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you, Neo. Been fun, gratifying, and sometimes emotional sharing this sobriety journey with you. You're doing great and have been an inspiration to me the past 14 months. Agree with everything you wrote about SR and the incredibly helpful people here.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Thanks Neo. You've done great -- and helped a lot of people in the process.

Cheers mate.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Beautiful post, Neo!

You know that we are all here to support each other, and to help ourselves.

Thanks for sharing your journey!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Beautiful post, Neo!

You know that we are all here to support each other, and to help ourselves.

Thanks for sharing your journey!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

You help make SR what it is, Neo - people who are really working on their sobriety and helping others. Thanks for all your input - you can be a beacon for others who don't want to wait until they wasted years of their lives to get sober.
Great post!!!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 07:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

From the beginning, I always related to you Neo. We're far apart in age and distance, but have been able to share so much. I'm so happy and thankful that you're addressing and facing these issues now. You won't waste a chunk of your life the way I did. I'm proud of you for coming here and taking a chance on being part of this community - I know it was difficult at times to dig down and bare your soul. Look what it's done for you, though - you have changed so much.

I hope to know you for many more years to come. You help me every day with your words, whether you realize it or not.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

^^^^^ what she said.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing with all of US.

Here's to freedom and the work it takes to actually achieve it.

Wishing you well,

Pork
Old 06-30-2010, 07:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Neo - You are the one that inspires around here. I too am heading down the mental recovery road myself and its tough, but doable. Good luck to you and continued success my friend. xxx
Old 06-30-2010, 08:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

your a real solid dude

I look forward to your posts
Old 06-30-2010, 10:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Huggs Neo. I am so glad you are here. Your words have helped me so many times.

God Bless my friend.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much.

Peace and Love xxx
Old 07-03-2010, 03:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've had a great Saturday night tonight. I never thought it would be possible.

The saying easy does it definately rings true for my sobriety and recovery journey. I am beginning to feel more comfortable inside my own skin now and can hold my head up high when out and about with family and friends. I was in an 'old haunt' around the drinkers and smokers and it didn't bother me at all. I truly am indifferent to alcohol now but I remain ever vigilant and have a healthy respect and always remain 100% acceptant that I'm an alcoholic. It really helps me that the people I go out with all know I'm a recovering alcoholic too. It is funny going into the old haunts and seeing old mates that I used to hang with when getting smashed. It comes as no surprise to them that I have gotten sober as it was either that or go down lower and lower. I was always wrecked and people comment as to how I was always 'sideways' when they used to see me or generally off my face on something. However I feel no shame as I am proud of my recovery and I am grateful. It also really helps having nearly a year under my belt too. It has taken a long time and much 'work' to get where I am at now.

I do not post this to gloat or brag or anything. Far from it. I merely post this to hopefully make newcomers and those questioning their drinking see that a life is possible without drink and drugs. A life where you have gratitude that you are a recovering alcoholic rather than a resentment at the others you see drinking. It takes many 'one day at a times' and much hard work and also sacrifices in accepting people, places and things have to be totally changed but it is worth it.

I was tired of being a drunk and was embarrassed. In talking to people now in sobriety I was absolutely a drunk. I was hding away from life and burying my head in the sand. I was in a truly horrible place of feeling like a total failure and that I had messed everything up and that no-one really understood, only fellow alcoholics of which I never really found anyone quite in touch with me, only drug abusers of who never drank like I did.

I am just posting this as a journal for me to look back on as it has been a big step tonight and also over the last couple of weeks. I feel like I am starting to use the 'tools' I have learned and utilising them to create a new positive life for myself.

I dread to think where I would have been if I hadn't have kept sober 'one day at a time'. It has been hard at times but undoubably worth it. I was sick and tired of being sad.

To the newcomer... Just stick in there. It takes time to heal and recover. "Sometimes Quickly, Sometimes slowly"

peace
Old 07-04-2010, 04:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

NEO, you're the best, I'm so glad we have you at this site. Good for you for facing the issues and dealing with them. I think our past has been an issue for a lot of us and drugs and alcohol were great for covering up whatever it was we didn't want to deal with. I'm glad I've worked through my stuff as well and life is better today. I still have stuff I work on because I need to, but I'm grateful that I gave myself a chance at having a better life and while it's most definitely better, I'm still working on new goals all the time.

So proud of you NEO, you've done great!!!
Old 07-04-2010, 11:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

neo...you are the freakin' man....you're my big brother by 2 months so i always love reading your posts.

isn't it great sober??? i love the part about no 'eureka' moment...it's so true but my god there are so many times when i'm just driving to baseball practice sober and think to myself how much better it is this way.

i have no doubt you've been a GREAT help to many of the folks that pass this way as you are a much more active poster than i. i heap kudos on you amigo for helping others as you have been helped.

keep on rockin'.....you have no idea what your old mates were thinking behind their masks the other night. (not putting them down...we all have masks) one of them could be studying you and how much better you are without the poison. it may not happen today but it could be a turning point for them 6 months or a year down the road. thanks again for the post.