Remaining calm in spite of the craziness...

Old 06-29-2010, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Remaining calm in spite of the craziness...

My life is incredibly busy as I'm currently enrolled in three summer classes (Specialty Coding, Health Records Applications IV, Intro to Philosophy), plus I was granted an extension until tomorrow to finish up Legal Aspects of Health Information. I had to take an emergency withdrawal on that class in an earlier semester due to the hernia repair I had to have done.

My dad recently went in for a sonogram as he was diagnosed with an abdominal aortic aneurysm a few years ago, and it was being monitored for any increase in size that would put it into needing surgery ASAP. It had gotten bigger, and the surgery is scheduled for this Friday.

Mom has been an absolute mess, sobbing, full of fear, and Dad had to make the decision between the traditional major surgery that would have him hospitalized for 8-10 days, and healing for 6 months, or a newer technique where they insert a catheter into the artery and put a stent in.

Mom wanted to go with the traditional surgery, Dad was leaning towards the stent surgery, so he went in for a second consultation. He's going for the stent surgery, much to Mom's dismay.

All I could do when Mom called was tell her it was going to be okay, and that I had no doubt God will be watching over Dad during surgery.

My brother is flying down from Connecticut tomorrow so he can be at the hospital, which is good. The hospital is over 2 hours away from me, plus I will be caring for my daughter's two dogs for a week as she and her ABF are flying to NY for a wedding he is going to be in.

I've just kept turning it over to God, and working on my classes. I landed a dogsitting job with a good client on Saturday through today, and that means up to their house to feed the girls at 6 am. I've been juggling studies in with multiple trips to their house during the day.

I had my final today in Legal Aspects on campus because the learning center where I have a proctor is closed during the summer. I was operating on 5 hours of sleep this morning due to back pain, and studying late last night!

I reviewed all my prior tests this morning before I left, and just made it a point to enjoy the drive over to the campus.

I sat in front of that computer after the proctor put the password in for the final, took a deep breath, and told myself it would be okay no matter what the grade. I'm doing the best that I can.

I walked out of there with a 95% on the final! I am so tired, but I'm happy about the results, and now I can take that class off of my daily load!

No worries about being at the hospital with Mom because my brother will be there.

Am I concerned about Dad's surgery? Absolutely because it does carry risks, as does any surgery. He is 77 years old. However, he's in excellent health, been an avid walker (at least 2 miles a day) for about 25 years, and God's going to be there.

Stressful periods are so much easier when I'm not fighting life with both fists up.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

Aye Caramba Freedom!!!

I looked in the dictionary for the word "busy". It said see Freedom1990.

Congratulations on the test!

And ((hugs)) on the family front!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm doing the best that I can.
And that's how you've become the amazing woman that you are
Old 06-29-2010, 10:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a wonderful post! It has everything in there from worry, fear, triumph, detachment, prayer, love, and comforting. You are one well-rounded lady!!

Life gets pretty crazy and you have had your fill of it for some time, it's true.

I wondered why your HP would have your learning this lesson over and over like this, and I am just seeing the answer more clearly, because your HP wants you to totally ace this one.

You may not be able to solve the worlds problems, or even your own for that matter, but you can manage through pretty darn well.

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR SCORE!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a wonderful post! It has everything in there from worry, fear, triumph, detachment, prayer, love, and comforting. You are one well-rounded lady!!

Life gets pretty crazy and you have had your fill of it for some time, it's true.

I wondered why your HP would have your learning this lesson (stress overload management) over and over like this, and I am just seeing the answer more clearly, because your HP wants you to totally ace this one.

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR SCORE!!!

Alice
Old 06-29-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Why did I get two posts, and the first one was the one I edited?

Sorry Dev, I'm having a weird computer day it seems. Hope my post came across well even with the echo. LOL

Alice
Old 06-29-2010, 12:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Yes, you are one busy lady!

My step dad had the stent surgery at age 82, and, is doing just fine. Basically he had the same options that your dad is being offered.

Congrats on your great score!
Old 06-29-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dollydo View Post
Yes, you are one busy lady!

My step dad had the stent surgery at age 82, and, is doing just fine. Basically he had the same options that your dad is being offered.

Congrats on your great score!
I'm glad your dad is doing fine. That gives me some comfort.

I just talked to Mom and the surgery is Thursday, not Friday. At least she sounded calmer.

My brother will fly into Wichita tomorrow, and I hope he stops by to see me before he heads up their way. I haven't seen him since Dad had his pacemaker put in, around 3-4 years ago.

My brain feels like putty. I'm not doing anything else today except self-care and enjoying my zoo crew!

Alice, no worries on the echo, dear!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

CONGRATS FREEDOM!!!

I started studying for an exam as well and you made me remember the feeling of seeing a good grade on the screen ! thanks for the motivation !!

PS I sent you a PM ...
Old 06-29-2010, 02:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Oh also I hope everything goes smoothly ! as you say he is in God's hands.. as well as you..
Old 06-29-2010, 02:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on an amazing job well-done, Freedom! And hugs for both the test and your dad's surgery. I'd agree that you deserve some time off with the Zoo Crew!