Notices

Back again!!

Old 06-29-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again!!

Hi,

I suppose I'm back again after a relapse and a plan for quitting that has taken over two weeks to materialise- I decided to wait till England were knocked out of the world cup, too many triggers with England matches! Anyway the Germans have speeded my quit date on a bit from when I intended it to be (I thought we'd at least get to the semi finals)

on day two at the moment and virtualy living on sr anytime I can on my iPhone - I hope it can become my instant recovery tool to be utilised whenever I need it.

I see a lot of my own story in the posts I read and that helps. I am not sure if aa is for me as I can't except the whole powerless concept. My job entails empowering people who themselves feeel powerless, I am a community worker. I hope to post regularly and get support from the good people on here.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
grateful

keep coming

it doesnt matter keep coming back and checking and getting help
Old 06-29-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back

I am on day 12, not sure if AA is for me, but am checking it out tonight. Willing to do anything at this point in order to reach true sobriety.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just wanted to clarify. Drink is my problem, always has been although I have sables in drugs but they were never really for me. I didn't drink everyday, but I did most days. The problem has never been the amount I drink but the fact that I can never ever ever stop at one. That and the horrible depression riddled hangovers has led mw to the concluesion I am an alcoholic.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, Acorn, Welcome Back

Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
The problem has never been the amount I drink but the fact that I can never ever ever stop at one.
This is exactly how I define my own powerlessness over alcohol. Once I get that first drink in me, it's all over. But I think understanding I'm powerless over alcohol gives me power when I'm sober. It made things a lot simpler at least. As the old cliche goes, the truth set me free
Old 06-29-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Acorn
I suppose I'm back again after a relapse...I decided to wait till England were knocked out of the world cup, too many triggers with England matches...on day two at the moment and virtualy living on sr anytime I can on my iPhone - I hope it can become my instant recovery tool to be utilised whenever I need it.
I mean no disrespect and have no interest in a confrontation, but there are no "instant recovery tools" to pick up and put down whenever we choose.

Living in recovery is about re-adjusting our lives and attitudes 24/7, 365 days of the year, regardless of any world cups or other events that are taking place around us.

"Supposing to be back again after a relapse" sounds less than half-hearted in wanting recovery (imo) and if the England cup matches stalled your sobriety, yet Germany is accelerating it, not only does it seem that you are totally powerless over alcohol, but you don't seem to really want to do the work necessary to make a change.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Get back on the wagon Acorn, good to see you here. Keep checking in and let us know how it goes I am only on day 6 myself.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
I just wanted to clarify. Drink is my problem, always has been although I have sables in drugs but they were never really for me. I didn't drink everyday, but I did most days. The problem has never been the amount I drink but the fact that I can never ever ever stop at one. That and the horrible depression riddled hangovers has led mw to the concluesion I am an alcoholic.

"I take a drink. Then the drink takes a drink. Then the drink takes me."

Good luck, man. I'm sure posting here a lot will help. Will you be doing a program?
Old 06-29-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

How powerless do you want to be Acorn? you were worried about being triggered by a football tournament.

I'm not in AA but I consider I'm not weak and I'm not a victim - but something happens to me when I drink alcohol...and it rules me.

So I stopped, I entered in recovery, and I regained my power.

SR is great, mate, but I hope if it turns out you need more help, you'll look for it too.

D
Old 06-29-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Good to see you're back Acorn! For me, being "powerless" over alcohol doesn't mean that I don't have power. It just means I can't drink responsibly, for whatever reason, and that I need help to stop.

I'm just glad you're here and wanting to get sobriety back.