Notices

Trying to quit

Old 06-28-2010, 06:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to quit

I have known for a while that I have had a drinking problem and considered stopping, but never have. To be honest, I'm scared to think of life without drinking. I have always been shy and quiet and drinking made me more outgoing in social situations. First thing I can think of is drinking and not sure what I will do when I'm used to drinking.

I have been drinking for a little over 3 years now. I really didn't start drinking much until I turned 21. Before that, I maybe drank once a month, but after my 21st birthday, I started to drink once a week, than a few times a week, before it became daily, usually alone.

I have wanted to go to some kind of AA meeting, but have been too scared to go alone and thought this forum could be the first step to get support from other people in the same situation.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hey Neb. You're not alone. A lot of people here kept drinking to be more comfortable in social situations. A lot of us worried about what to do when we quit. A Good step in coming here. You get used to being out without drinking. There are a lot of things to do sober. Good luck on whatever you decide. Welcome.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome and don't worry about AA meetings. The people for the most part are very helpful and kind. Try a noon meeting in the beginning to lessen the fear and I bet you hear something that you can relate to. God Bless
Old 06-28-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JTinStLouis

Hello Tim (fellow Omaha native),

I know just how you feel, I knew the same thing for quite a while. I too was fearful of what was on the other side. It came to a point where the fear of remaining where I was or trying to think I could sustain that way of life long term became more of a fear. I gave myself a chance and tried the other side, there was no harm in listening. I found my story was resident in so many other people, there was nothing wrong with me that could not be helped. it was 100% the fellowship of AA that allowed to see this other life I now get to live ever day.

JT
Old 06-28-2010, 06:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are here.....Welcome.....

I too was nervous about going to AA alone
so I asked a good friend to come with me.
It worked out well....and it made me feel better.

Please read this link so you will know what to expect

Your First AA Meeting<

And you will find a room full of shy people
who are staying sober together.

Hope you find your way....sobriety rocks....
Old 06-28-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome NebTim

You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 06-28-2010, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, Tim, I was scared of going to AA as well but my desperation ended up trumping my fear. You seem very aware of why you drink and how it's progressed, which is a great start. Browse the forums a bit--collective wisdom, you know?

Also, about AA, the meetings I go to don't force anyone to speak and I didn't open my mouth until my fourth meeting actually. But I still met people, got the beginning of a support network, and had the opportunity to listen to others much wiser than me Whatever you choose, best of luck.

Welcome to SR.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just wanted to thank everyone for the support. I have wanted to try and quit drinking several times in the past year, but only lasted a day or two. I hope that finding this forum will help me find support with others that are going through the same situation. Hopefully I will be able to work up the courage to attend an AA meeting. I have really just tried to hide my drinking and denied it when confronted about it. I used drinking as a way to hide my problems in the past.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Hi Tim! Welcome to SR. You are very wise indeed to want to get ahold of this problem now.

Keep reading and posting! Lots of good advice here.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Alot of us started out as social drinkers and ended up drinking alone. Alcohol actually increases anxiety and depression, which makes it harder to "go without." You'll find your story repeated over and over both here and at AA, so we all know what you're going through. We need the support because we found it impossible to stop on our own, too.

Take it a day at a time and don't worry about going the rest of your life without it. Just focus on "now" and don't pick up that drink today. Keep reading and posting, too, because it really does help. Glad you're here!