Notices

I_think_I've_found_a_solution_to_my_alcoholism

Old 06-28-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I_think_I've_found_a_solution_to_my_alcoholism

6 months since my last drink.

It’s strange b/c it feels like 6 years. I believe it’s gone by slow b/c I’m growing into a different person, which to me, is the most important point in working a program. I’m of the opinion the same me will drink again. I wanted a design for living without even knowing it. I always felt like everyone else had a “life manual”, but me.

To start, I did over 90 meetings in 90 days in AA, 4 months of outpatient therapy, all while working full time and all of this without the ability to drive or public transportation. It’s amazing what a mixture of fear, willingness to be open to everything, and determination can do.

It’s not all been pretty, once I removed the alcohol there wasn't much left of me, but I can tell I’m changing and getting stronger. It’s mostly been awkward and downright painful, but I’ve caught glimpses of relief and moments of peace.

I’m now on step 8 in AA and I do believe I’ve found a solution to my alcoholism.

One day…at…a time.

Peace to all-
Kjell

PS - ...and lots and lots of posts here on SR help
Old 06-28-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Well done, Kjell. You willingness to change is apparant...and you are already reaping the rewards of your work.

Thanks for sharing
Old 06-28-2010, 08:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Kjell, you're doing great!

Like you, when I removed the alcohol from my life, I was a shell of a person. I had to rebuild my life and I had to turn inward to find my life's purpose.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like what you write, Kjell.

I didn't start out trying to make over my life when I stopped drinking, it sort of went hand in hand. I think I sensed I needed to do it, but it was not a conscious decision until after I had been sober for awhile. I saw all the empty places in my life that alcohol used to be, and I knew I needed to fill them up or I would start drinking again.

It's beginning to become "fun". I'm starting to look around and challenge all my assumptions about life. "I hate Green Tea. Why? Is the really true? (I try Green Tea) Wow, this stuff is cool. I love Green Tea!"

All my old patterns of thinking... I'm growing, changing. I should think differently now, have new thoughts and ideas. Don't have automatic thoughts, ask why.

Anyway, I am/was in a rut, and it's exciting to look around for ways to get out of it. Who wants to be in a rut? Climb out, get some height, look around, and chart a smooth new direction.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Congratulations! You're right....the scariest part is that you are changing YOU. And, as luck has it, it's also the Best part.

You are doing Great!
Old 06-28-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I also believe that the time passes more slowly while you are sober, but that is because if I go back to when I was drinking I spent many days recovering from hangovers and many nights doing stuff I don't even remembered the day after due to black-outs.

So I think that a major plus of beeing sober if that you have much more time on your hands FOR REAL.

For example this weekend I was by the sea and got back home at like 5 am both on friday and on saturday. Both days I was able to go to the beach at 11 am while when I was drinking I would have prolly spent all the day-afters in bed recovering from the night before.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice one man!! Great post too mate!!! 6 months is a real milestone!!

Peace
Old 06-28-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Adepitice View Post
I also believe that the time passes more slowly while you are sober, but that is because if I go back to when I was drinking I spent many days recovering from hangovers and many nights doing stuff I don't even remembered the day after due to black-outs.

So I think that a major plus of beeing sober if that you have much more time on your hands FOR REAL.

For example this weekend I was by the sea and got back home at like 5 am both on friday and on saturday. Both days I was able to go to the beach at 11 am while when I was drinking I would have prolly spent all the day-afters in bed recovering from the night before.
Very true. I've never done more...with less.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have kept a diary of both my drinking life and my sober life, since 2007, and I am constantly amazed at the changes in me. I am on step 10 in AA.

Today, I do not burst into anger over small and insignifigant things. I don't look at everyone around me as the villian, and me the victim. It is such freedom to be free of that way of thinking. I know I still have more work to do. But, I am so much happier now than I was 3 years ago.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Well done my man.......well done!

Nothing like gettin in there, gettin dirty, and doin the work to make you feel better. It gets you out of yourself and helps to remove you from the desire to drink again. Plus.....now that you're starting to feel better.......you won't WANT to go back to booze anytime soon.

Congrats!!!
Old 06-28-2010, 03:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Attended By a Single Hound

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
once I removed the alcohol there wasn't much left of me, but I can tell I’m changing and getting stronger. It’s mostly been awkward and downright painful, but I’ve caught glimpses of relief and moments of peace.

Thank you for saying that.

Tsu x
Old 06-28-2010, 03:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your 6 months Kjell!

D
Old 06-28-2010, 05:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Thank you for all the responses~
Old 06-28-2010, 05:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It's been a real pleasure to follow your progress
congratulations
Old 06-28-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
6 months since my last drink.

It’s strange b/c it feels like 6 years. I believe it’s gone by slow b/c I’m growing into a different person, which to me, is the most important point in working a program.

One day…at…a time.

Peace to all-
Kjell

PS - ...and lots and lots of posts here on SR help

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMEN to that ! brother

Seems like the last (just about, anyway) three months has been an altered slowed reality. Sooo many major changes from my 'old thinking."

Congratulations Kjell, ....thanks for all the posts !!!