Brain trauma and addiction

Old 06-28-2010, 08:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brain trauma and addiction

This is a topic near and dear to me, because my RAD suffered a concussion as a child and again as an adult. Both were mild concussions in two different areas, and neither one has healed properly, though they are being worked on with neurofeedback.

Sometimes I forget that she's had mild TBI's because she's so intelligent and acts 'normal' 98% of the time. Then she'll do or say something and it's almost like you can see the connectors in her brain short circuiting.

I forgot about it again when I posted something the other day, about her choosing to abuse drugs. Yes, she made that choice but with a damaged brain and we weren't aware of it at the time. It wasn't until after her addiction that a psychiatrist recommended an EEG; it's one of his usual diagnostic tools for any disease or disorder.

I thought about it again because of something I read this morning:

Chris Henry, the Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver who died in a traffic accident last year, had chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) -- a form of degenerative brain damage caused by multiple hits to the head -- at the time of his death, according to scientists at the Brain Injury Research Institute, a research center affiliated with West Virginia University.

Researchers: Chris Henry had brain damage at the time of his death - ESPN
We're extremely fortunate that we're financially able to provide more tools for her. This is why AA/NA alone is not enough for her. This is why I've worked so hard at detaching while she lives at home.

This is one of the reasons why not everyone will survive addiction. Psychiatric drugs, therapy and will power alone are not enough sometimes.

I've posted this more as a reminder to myself to continue working on my own issues, my acceptance and patience. I have no idea what the future holds for her, but I do know that I have to continue grabbing every opportunity to assist her recovery while she's clean and allows me. I have to grab every opportunity to just love her.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Chino, Thank you for the reminder, I tend to forget about my RAD's TBI as it has been approx 12 yrs since the injury. I tend to forget what the doctors said, as at times she seems so normal. I tend to forget that it was said that the decision making part of her brain was injured.

Chris
Old 06-28-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Originally Posted by Chino View Post
I have to grab every opportunity to just love her.
This is a beautiful and healthy statement!!!!!!!!!

She is blessed to have you as you are blessed to have her!!!!

HUGS & prayers,
Rita
Old 06-28-2010, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, Chino. I don't know a whole lot about TBI, and that gave me some insight.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
it is what it is

My son had two concussions when he was young - 5 and 6 years old - then he had another playing football as a teenager! I have had passing thoughts about the possibility of this being a contributing factor in his decision to take drugs. I will certainly explore more about this now. Thank you so much for sharing that information.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well said Chino. There are so many factors that contribute to addiction and the impulsivity and the judgement issues post TBI can really have a lot of impact. My specialty is trauma (particularly TBI) and I definitely see a correlation.

My husband has damaged his brain (through concussions and drug abuse) and I know that it complicates things a whole lot. Sometimes everything can be fine but when it's not it can be difficult.

I'm glad that you posted this!