Notices

Hi - I'm new and lost :)

Old 06-28-2010, 04:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi - I'm new and lost :)

Hi there, God I just dont know what to say .... how will I ever be better? I can only see me dying from all of this.....
Old 06-28-2010, 04:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! What is it you want to be better from? Drinking? Drugs? Both? Tell us a little about yourself so we can better help you. You've come to a good place for help, lots of it here, lots of support and useful info, so avail yourself of it.

With the help and support from this site I'm coming up on seven months sober! Never thought it was possible, but here I am! One day at a time, you can get there too.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No - you wont. What Are you trying to stop - drinking? Drugs?
Old 06-28-2010, 04:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey there Eponine,

Welcome to the SR community!

The good news is that you can be better and you can fight this and you are not alone!!
You can decide to be sober for 'just today' - why don't you join some of us in the breakfast club/June 2010 group at: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2637931 where you'll get lots of daily support.

Please keep coming here to post and you'll get lots of useful information, assistance, motivation, support and inspiration from some wonderful people here. I'm almost on day 150 and woudn't be here without my friends in SR

Big hugs,

Almath
Old 06-28-2010, 04:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Eponine,

you're in the right place if you have an addiction issue/s. People here will understand you and be able to help.

What's happening?
Old 06-28-2010, 05:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Eponine!

Yes, please post some more. We only support here, and have lots of people who have already traveled your path.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

First, realize that you do have hope.
You wouldn't have posted if you didn't have that hope.
That's the beginning.
Next, realize your post was a call for help.
Asking for help is a sign of strength and wisdom.

So you have hope and you've asked for help and this forum is a great source of help
Old 06-28-2010, 07:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I can understand your despair, because that is what addiction does to us.

But, there is hope and you can recover.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

Hi and Welcome to our family, are not lost anymore! pls do as Almath said, join us at the breakfast club, we would love to meet you. Be strong, one day at a time! Hugs
Old 06-28-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Alcohol

Hi there - thanks for much for all your messages.

Im addicted to alcohol.

I find around the same time every night I want it, and then if I start I can't stop until I drop. It's ruining my career (I had just started a new job and in the process of taking on a flat, all of which I have had to forget). I find getting help frustrating, slow and support from the NHS seems so .... unsupportive.

Im angry that im going through this, that this substance is EVERYWHERE and that I don't have the ability to control it and enjoy it like others. Im so angry im like this and that my life is so unconsistent and unreliable. I despair sometimes - how will I ever get back on the straight and narrow and what on earth must others think of me??? I live in a small village so the gossipers must be loving this .....

My boyfriend is in Australia (I am in the UK) and I have to fix this for him to give up his life there to be with me .... and as I write this ... all I can think of is : I'd die for a glass of wine right now, to feel that relaxing feeling after the first glass'. Why does my body not know that is brings to me everything I don't want???

Sorry rant over ... hahah .......

Most of all I am so very sorry for all the worry I am putting my parents through ....
Old 06-28-2010, 11:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
6/20/08

You are in the right place! Welcome. Keep reading!
Old 06-28-2010, 01:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I sure can relate to that glass of wine and wanting more and more and more. I think we all can and that's why we're here.

I'm on day 11 of my sobriety and I feel good. Get yourself to an AA meeting. Come here and post and read when you having your cravings. Watch a movie. I can't even tell you how many movies I've watched in the past 3 days! lol Read a book. Get the "big book" and read it...go for a walk (but not to get booze!).

Keep coming back...you can do this.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Eponine,

I know how you feel - I could never stop until every bottle was empty and the last shop was closed. I'd wake up hating myself and drink to feel better . . .and on and on for years. I was so miserable and despaired of ever really getting sober. I gave myself limits: 'If I ever turn up drunk for work, I'll quit. If I ever end up in hospital or a cell . . '' all of these happened more than once and none stopped me from drinking. Horrible.

I realised that if I wanted to stop drinking and remain sober, I had to start making some drastic changes in myself and examine the underlying reasons for my drinking. AA is great and may be the most available face-to-face resource for you, but there are also routes like SMART recovery, Lifering and others - you can find information about them all on this site. Posting and reading here is also a great thing to do.

Guilt and shame are very familiar to most people here! Once you quit, these will quickly begin to fade away.

Keep posting!

SM
Old 06-28-2010, 04:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community....

You will meet many of us who are winning over alcohol.
We are here to help you do that too.....
Old 06-28-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Welcome! I hope you feel at home here. Keep posting.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Eponine - getting through the first day or two can be scary and hard. If there's any way you can get in to see a doctor who can help with the withdrawal symptoms, you should do it. Just take it one hour or minute at a time and hang out here if you can to have some support behind you.

Everyone here will tell you it will only get worse if you continue, and that it's worth every minute getting sober to have a new life. If we can do, so can you! :ghug3
Old 06-28-2010, 11:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

thank you

for all your wise words and your support Day 2 here we go and my first AA meeting tonight *gulp*
Old 06-28-2010, 11:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You have come to the right place. We've all experienced that feeling. It sucks like all get out. My first night sober, I stayed up the whole night repeating in my mind "i can do this, i can do this..." I thought I might go nuts. But I didn't. Please keep reading, and while nothing will make you feel 100% better, words of kindness from strangers can sure take the edge off.
Welcome.