Alcoholic?

Old 06-27-2010, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic?

Can a person who drinks every night, 85% of these times getting drunk be called an alcoholic? his fav drinks are beer and absinthe... I'm not sure if I'm being exagerated or being an alcoholic should mean he's 24/7 drunk.. I've been dealing with a drug addict before, but I'm new to this.. he's not my boyfriend (anymore) and not very involved emotionally either, was just wondering though..

I'm sorry if my question seems stupid, and thanks for reading
Old 06-27-2010, 02:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I can't say if your friend is an alcoholic or not.

If you are no longer involved with him, I think you have made a healthy decision in seperating yourself from his drunkeness. Good on you!
Old 06-27-2010, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I would call anyone who drinks Absinthe every day an alcoholic. Traditional Absinthe is not even legal here in the States. In any case, what his is doing is very unhealthy and you are lucky not to be involved with him any longer.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your answers after a little reading around, I'm convinced now, guess I'm happy I'm out of his life.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Absinthe is legal again... The real stuff made with wormwood. It's just like any other drink for an alkie; it gets the gob done. Part of the fun is the preparation ritual; kinda like a crack addict with a pipe. Could be fun for a libertine themed party, for normies.
"not my boyfriend (anymore) and not very involved emotionally either, was just wondering though"
All you need to know is to move on and find someone you really like who does not use like your x did... You know (knew) him better than we do. Smile....
Old 06-27-2010, 05:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well, problem is that I got involved with metally disturbed guys, a drug addict, now an alcoholic.. I'm not looking forward to meeting someone new very soon
Old 06-27-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Might be a good time to work on your own issues and try to discover why you attract or are drawn to a certain type of person. When we learn to take care of ourselves, our choices improve and we are more cautious about who we allow to be a part of our lives. You deserve better.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by damnedone View Post
well, problem is that I got involved with metally disturbed guys, a drug addict, now an alcoholic.. I'm not looking forward to meeting someone new very soon
There is a book called Co-Dependent no more by Melodie Beattie. I would highly suggest it. It focuses exactly on the above issue of being drawn into relationships with unhealthy partners.

I know most likely you are not considering yourself a codependent. You don't have to be to read this book. It will still be an eye opener. Good luck and congratulations on being single and enjoying it.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

"Might be a good time to work on your own issues"
Perfect! All the above resonates with me. It's normal to go through a period of mourning/rebuilding after a relationship ends. Unhealthy is rushing into the next relationship (which by the laws of nature tends to dictate a partner very similiar to the last). Great opportunity to do some of the above mentioned stuff if you like...