Notices

Cravings

Old 06-26-2010, 09:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings

Hi.

Just wondering if anyone would share what they do when they get a craving?

I don't mean the "thoughts" of drinking or small cravings, I mean the "all out ones" where it feels someone else has taken over your body and it is so hard to stop.

Please don't say go to a meeting, as I have mental health issues, live in a very small town and my therapist suggests I go to Women's only meetings, of which there is only one and it isn't until next Friday.

I really need to quit drinking and I can manage the little thoughts or small cravings, but always relapse when the huge ones hit.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Jamison,

Hi, I am on day 9 and have been getting on here when I get those. I may not post - sometimes I do, but I also search around for different topics - like cravings, relapse, etc.. and read others stories. Sometimes I also just make myself just go do something like laundry or organizing something around the house - anything to keep my mind occupied until it passes. I know this is not much to offer, but I'm sure others will have more ideas. Stay strong!
Old 06-26-2010, 09:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

Hi, Jamison! Welcome to SR! You are just reaching at the right place in the internet. I am recovering alcoholic with 16 months sobriety. I still have small carving lately. When I've got a craving, I drink coca cola as much as I can. Then carving will disappear. I often do this when I get craving.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe meditation might work for you. It did and does still work.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

A few things that I do when major cravings hit:

1. "Play the tape all the way through" - instead of thinking about getting relief, think about all the things that happen AFTER.
2. Read Day1 posts at SR until the craving leaves.
3. Eat something.
4. Think of everything you have to be grateful for today.
5. Surf the web for information on what alcohol does to the body and brain.
6. Imagine that your life depends on staying sober - because it does!
7. Take deep, slow breaths and concentrate on the air coming in and out of
your nose/chest (look up techniques for dealing with anxiety)
8. Just wait it out - it won't last forever.
9. Busy yourself - read, watch TV, clean the toilet......
10. Hold onto the idea of waking up tomorrow without feeling sick and
hungover.
11. Help a fellow SR member stay sober another day (!)

I'm sure others have more ideas, but these are the ones I've used! Hang in there, OK?
Old 06-26-2010, 09:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jamison

I found changing my routine and keeping busy was helpful...I also found using SR and accessing the support was very useful for me...

Have you seen your doctor about your this? They may have some suggestions as well. Others have tried counselling - that may be of benefit.

I know you'll get a lot of good suggestions here.

The main thing is to do whatever you need to in order not to turn around and go backwards.

If you read around you'll see many of our members have mental health issues, and it hasn't stopped them from going to meetings, seeing their therapist or doctor, or accessing whatever it is they need to.

I believe some recovery groups - including AA and SMART - have online meetings as well - you may wish to check those out too.

I remember very well those 'all out' cravings 'where it feels someone else has taken over your body and it is so hard to stop'...don't sell yourself short on any avenue of possible support against those, Jamison.

Here some links to explore
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...resources.html

D
Old 06-26-2010, 10:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Jamison!! I read somewhere about the HALT rule when in recovery...Never get too Hungry...Too Angry..Too Lonely or Too Tired.... I've pretty much followed those guidelines..and happy to say I'm 5 months sober!! and like Ninja mentioned...coke (soda)does wonders for me too!!

Keep on keep'in!!