Notices

a little confused

Old 06-26-2010, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

a little confused

Hello-Just signed up and i'm trying to figure out what to do. My name is Rick-lucifer666 is just the devil that runs my life (if you can call being a shut-in a life). I've been on xanax since 1996-no kidding. Helped alot at first and now cannot step out the door without a dose. I thank God that my job is 3rd shift hours and I work alone. My doctor says that i am agoraphobic along with the BIG time anxiety problems. The only time I venture out during the day is for my doctor appointments and believe me I am loaded up on xanax to get me there and back. I'm sure I will never overcome this addiction-but who knows, miracles have been known to occur from time to time. I'll quit for now and hope this gets out. Good Luck to you all, Rick
Old 06-26-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rick,

There is lots of hope for you to be able to get off the xanax and have your freedom back.

Have you talked to the dr who prescribed the medication for you and explained that you want to be finished with it? And, I wonder if you have tried counselling for your agorophobia? It could be helpful to talk to a professional about it.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Rick,good to have you,welcome
I hope you keep coming back with us..there is got to be someone here who has went thru what you are going thru.
as for me,I never did much xanax
Old 06-26-2010, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know about benzos. You have to taper off very slowly under medical supervision or your health could be put at risk. Don't quit cold turkey. Talk to your doctor. I know what it's like to be scared to go out too... I have gone days without leaving the apartment. I take an anxiety med for now and it helps but I hope to beat it with exercise and meditation eventually- it's a lot of work. I've done it in the past but for now I am focusing on quitting alcohol. My thoughts are with you.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Xanax is a benzo. Benzo withdrawal is very dangerous, especially if alcohol is also involved. You could die. Go see a Dr. before you quit cold turkey.

Benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-26-2010, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Rick

Some good advice here - benzos can be tricky - please see a Dr.

D
Old 06-26-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! There is some very good advice here. Get some medical advice (help) with this. Benzo's are, indeed, dangerous to come off of.