Notices

tough night...

Old 06-25-2010, 07:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Toro Solo

tough night...

so last night was 30 days... and it was thursday. for more than ten years I go out with the boys on thursdays. For the last month all has been fine, missed one night, the others no big deal. We'd met at a restaurant and had dinner all good.
Last night we decide we'll work on the race car at the garage, my best friend picks me up and while were driving over i hear clinking in the back seat. I look back to see a box of beer and wine and some wine glasses.. crap, I know there's nothing to drink at the garage.... so we get there and we work on the car for a couple hours all the while the others are having drinks and I'm stressing... guess I could have walked the couple blocks to the store and bought something to drink but I also didn't feel like drawing attention to the fact that I wasn't drinking..I just want it to be no big deal.. anyway made it through and we went and had dinner, once in the restaurant all was fine but overall it was a bit of a drag...
next time I'll be more prepared.
nn
Old 06-25-2010, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You did great!

And, sometimes it does take planning ahead, but good for you on having 31 days sober!
Old 06-25-2010, 08:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Way to go dude, you're not hungover. I go on a fishing trip with some partners every year in Nov. My first year I was about thirty days and I drove with them. Some don't drink very much, although some were right up there with me. I was as nervous as a duck crappin a peach seed and did not enjoy myself. I learned from that and have not missed a trip since. Now I drive my own car and when they hit the bar, I go to a meeting in Susanville. I've picked up my chip there ever since. Sounds like you did great and learned a good lesson. God Bless
Old 06-25-2010, 08:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
stayingstraight

Hey NN. You did good. You did the right thing. I know I'm not ready for that situation yet. I might have caved. (Only 7 days sober today). I've thought about what I might do in similar situations. Right now I've just been trying to avoid these situations altogether. It bothered you. You admitted it. You didn't give in to it. Good job!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 08:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

That's a major victory, notnormal! I've had some uncomfortable situations similar to that, but nothing quite that bad. I agree that having a drink-to-go would be ideal, or having something to snack on. Glad you got through it OK.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good advice here
Congratulations on your 30

D
Old 06-25-2010, 09:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

WOW way to go on 31!

Alex
Old 06-25-2010, 09:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Toro Solo

Life's funny. Just went to a meeting and saw two fellas that I haven't seen in a while ( i see them at my business once in awhile) well one was the speaker and has 18 years and the other got his 26 year chip tonight.. I truly had no recollection till tonight that I also knew them from meetings almost 20 years ago... funny that they hadn't forgotten.. where ya been they both asked?? then big smiles all around....
at least I could say great, when they asked me how I'm doing.
nice end to the day
nn
Old 06-25-2010, 10:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are awesome.
This was truly inspiring.
Congrats. You should be so proud of yourself.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
stayingstraight

NN, That's like Karma. You had that struggle, you made it through that test. Then you run into a couple of guys from your past at a meeting of all places. Good stuff. Very positive. SS.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
6/20/08

You did it! You got through it! Yes!

Congrats on 30 days, too!