Notices

“I need to make some changes"

Old 06-25-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

“I need to make some changes"

Today is the day that the catch phrase becomes an ethos, a reality. I’ve known for quite some time now that my drinking was too much in terms of quantity as well as frequency. I’ve tried in the past to control it will limited success typically limited to two to three weeks at a time followed by continued heavy use. My drinking has caused general health issues, both physical and emotional. I’ve continued drinking in excess despite problems with my health, quality and production at work and all around well being.

I truly wish I hadn’t let my drinking get to this point, I wish I could drink causally like other people but as I sit here today, I no longer believe this is a reality. I look in the mirror and this is not the life I want for myself and so today I’ve made the decision, a hard and thoroughly thought out decision to make a change, to stop drinking and get my life back to a place that I can be happy with.

Looking back on my eleven or so years drinking and think of many good times, although the ‘good times’ are marked quite drastically with many incidents of shame and regret. These times where I acted in contrast with who I see myself as, and I no longer want to live a double life. I no longer want to be burdened by my shameful decisions and all day hangovers. I have so much to offer and I’m not going to let my drinking deny me, my family and friends of this.

I’m 27 and I have a serious drinking problem, a problem that today I’ve decided to finally do something about. I hate to think that I will never be able to go out for a beer with co-workers after a long week at the office, to enjoy a homebrew beer with an old friend or enjoy a glass of wine with family over dinner. Having that said, these are little sacrifices- I truly believe I will be a better and happier person without drinking.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Brian, glad you are here.

Thank you for your post... reminds me of where I was not long ago. Shame and regret - feelings I know very well. I had to move on from there to stay sober/clean, but they were great motivation to stop drinking/using and do what I needed to change my attitude enough to stay that way for today.

I hope to see you around the site!
Old 06-25-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Knowing is the first step. Just don't do it alone- seek some support that works for you, be it AA, SMART Recovery, counseling... you made a good choice- wishing you the best in getting and staying sober.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Brian, Welcome to SR
Old 06-25-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am at the stage where I am thinking of all the good times I had with beer....the parties....the gatherings...the home-made brews......and I STILL think that I can "beat this" were I to find another way to fill the "habit" part of my drinking...instead of wanting the beer at 5pm....maybe I could take art classes.....do something else.....

oh well....sorry for writing about "ME"......I wanted to say I understand where you are....except I've yet to stop.....(I went from 8 beers a day and MORE on weekends....to two to 4 beers a day except on weekends........sometimes I only drink 3 days of the week....others 5....)

Good Luck!
Old 06-25-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One day at a time. Don't worry about not drinking tomorrow or next week or next year etcetcetc. Just make sure that you never take that first drink 'just for today'. That's all you gotta do.

This enables you to be able to then recover 'one day at a time'.

My recovery was able to start when I truly accepted 100% to my innermost self that I am an alcoholic. One drink is too many and 1000000 never enough.

I realised and accepted that I am the problem. Not the booze in those bottles or cans but me. Once I truly accepted that then it was apparent that I was going to have to gain a new set of tools to live life in a new and positive way. AA and SR provided me with these tools. I was going to have to fundamentally change as a person and think and react differently to life in order to stay sober. This has been my experience so far.

I got sober at 23 and I am now 24. It was the best decision I ever made. So very worth it. It will work if you 'work' for it.

All The Best
Old 06-25-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's good that you're taking action. I made a similar decision a few weeks ago and I'm trying to stick to it. I also remember many good times spent with friends while drinking, but we tend to overlook the negative parts.

Originally Posted by Brian27 View Post
I’m 27 and I have a serious drinking problem, a problem that today I’ve decided to finally do something about. I hate to think that I will never be able to go out for a beer with co-workers after a long week at the office, to enjoy a homebrew beer with an old friend or enjoy a glass of wine with family over dinner. Having that said, these are little sacrifices- I truly believe I will be a better and happier person without drinking.
Situations like this are difficult. It seems so innocent, but I know I'm incapable of just having a single beer with co-workers or a single glass of wine. After drinking 1 or 2, everyone else is relaxed and satisfied. On the other hand, I keep thinking about the next drink and so on. Stopping after 2-3 drinks makes me feel miserable.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Brian - I decided I wanted a better life too - and I got it.
Lots of us have - I know you can too.

Look forward to seeing you around
D
Old 06-25-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Brian and welcome! Like Neo said, don't dwell on the future because it will overwhelm you. Take it a day at a time (or an hour at a time). Each day that you stay sober will bring new rewards and motivate you to keep going for another day.

If we can do it, so can you! You'll find a lot of support and understanding here. So many of us have tried to control our drinking and found that it just didn't work. Keep posting and reading - you're not alone!:ghug3
Old 06-25-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

HI Brian & welcome to SR. I think you're making a wise decision. I am only 8 days sober and when I think about booze, I think about the way it made me feel good. I worry about the things I'll miss out on too (wine at dinner with family, birthday party drinks, etc...). But I worry more about my future self if I continue to drink the way I have been.

Again - welcome. Stick around here, the people are great!
Old 06-25-2010, 06:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Brian,

That was a clear-headed and determined post. I liked it.

Your second to last sentence (all that part about friends and beer)... I think you have a ways to go before you need to worry about that. Don't think that far ahead because by the time you reach that situation you'll feel different about it anyway.

Glad you stopped by. Please post some more.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Howard Wilson

Cool same boat

I woke up yesterday and felt the same way getting on here and letting it all out has helped me a lot and reading stories like yours let me know I am not the only one with the same problems. Drive on!
Old 06-25-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Brian, There are many well informed, caring people on this site doing the same thing you are attempting. I know you can find the support you're looking for here. If you find that you can't, by yourself, stop drinking the way you want to, there are many support groups in your area. I belong to AA and it has helped me immensly. I am glad you are looking for help. Welcome and God Bless.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of the encouraging words.

Has anyone had any luck with the SMART recovery method? I saw that sleepie mentioned it in a post and after a bit of research it seems quite different from AA, which seems to be the overwhelming choice of support.