Notices

Dreams

Old 06-23-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreams

Day 11 done and I'm doing pretty well. The only problem right now it that I'm dreaming about me drinking again and it's quite frightning. Does anyone else dream (have nightmares?) about drinking again?

Best wishes all

Spikeman.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is very common and people post about drinking/using dreams all the time. I even had faux hangovers for 3-5 minutes when I first work up, before my brain told my body it was all BS.

They greatly reduce in time, at least in my case, but I still have them occasionally.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

After one begins working,
living and breathing a
recovery program for
awhile then dreams of
drinking turn into dreams
where you say no to the
drink and use ur recovery
program to your advantage.

Those are the ones you wake
up to and say,"im even working
my program in my sleep."

It always brings a smile to my
face the next morning.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We've moved into day 12 Spikeman and it's feeling good. I've slept so heavily this week, for some strange reason, I can't even remember what I've dreamt. Didn't even hear the alarm clock yesterday. Very wierd and not at all like me!!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a few dreams of pounding booze so realistic that I woke up believing I had actually did the deed - complete with a pseudo-hangover. Actually walked around the house looking for empty bottles at one point lol.

Seems like the "drunk dreams" happened to a lot of us early on. They will go away, at least they did for me. In the meantime, try to appreciate the relief you feel once you realize it was only a dream . Worked for me.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
This thread managed to spark an instant recall of a dream I had last night. My best friend was heading to Iraq (he will be in July) and at his send-off party someone had a tray of liquor shots. I grabbed one, made a toast and downed it with the conscious thought that I didn't give a fvck about breaking sobriety as this was more important etc.

I actually don't think much about drinking or have problems staying off the booze. However, I think dreams like these are sometime useful warnings from our subconscious. Surely when that send-off party comes up in a few weeks, I will be doubly certain that I won't be doing anything as stupid as downing a shot.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm on Day 4 (have had multiple goes it) and last night I dreamed that I blew my sobriety date. It was as if my sub-conscious was saying, "Who are you kidding? You can't do this!" I was very happy to wake up this morning and say to myself, "Yes, you can do this."
Old 06-24-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

oh yeah! I'm only on day 14 and the first week I would dream of drinking and jolt myself awake and wonder did I drink last night!?!?! terrified..I might have given in. I think staying sober is such a conscious effort that ours minds play tricks when we're unconscious who knows maybe its our minds way of alleviating the stress of a major life change. dono but I haven't dreamed that dream since last weekend.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

I have using dreams occasionally. Had them quite a lot at first. I had one last night in fact. I'[ve found that i tend to have using dreams when i'm approaching a milestone time in my recovery. Had several just before 60 days, 90 days, and i'll have 6 months saturday.

Dreams aren't real, and while they can be frightening it's a great feeling to wake up and realize that it was only a dream, that i didn't screw up.