Notices

Please guys - this is for Almay777 - encouragement !

Old 06-22-2010, 02:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

Please guys - this is for Almay777 - encouragement !

Almay is a newcomer to our site and she is really struggling with Day 1, please any form of support or advice would be welcome to help her get past Day 1. Thank you all so much , you are the best. ''You are a star and u can do this Almay, we are all behind you!''
Old 06-22-2010, 02:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'll show my support in any way possible.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much.xx

Thank you so much for your support I dont know what to say. Except now I really want to do this so I can write I'm on day 2. I have been so tempted to lie when I havent got through day 1 but I wont. I wont do it. I will always tell you all the truth. You cannot support me if I lie. I am really going to try today, I really am. Just keep busy and keep reminbding myself why I need to do this.xx
Old 06-22-2010, 03:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm here for you Almay. Feel free to PM tomorrow if you need advice or anything. I know you can do it.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Almay,

Are you attending AA or any other support group? It really helps if you do.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am not part of a group. I work full time and am a mum so it is very difficult for me to attend meetings. This is why I love SR. Its great to communicate with people who are living or have lived the same nightmare I am living right now.
Whats stopping me from stopping if this makes sense is how bad I feel. I am scared of something bad happening to me. I know drinking will only make my health worse but when I'm drunk I dont care. I hate that I dont care about me.xx
Old 06-22-2010, 03:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

almay,

recovery and real sobriety takes real work,

the kind that is oh so doable too.

good for you on day two.

you can do it,

and never give up that hope!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am not on day 2 unfortunately. Still trying to get past day 1.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Old 06-22-2010, 04:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by almay777 View Post
Whats stopping me from stopping if this makes sense is how bad I feel. I am scared of something bad happening to me.
Do you mean that you are hungover and fear withdrawal? Or how bad you feel emotionally?

With full disclosure that I have not quit 100%, I'll say that they key to getting through a night for me is PLANS. I will tell my husband in the morning that I'm going to the gym at 7pm (or whatever). And then I'll mark out pages of a book to read. And I'll go to the market and choose a special tea to drink that night. It sounds mind numbing I known but over time these are things I really enjoy now (that I would have totally rolled my eyes at not even 6 months ago).

But I follow those plans like I follow other events on my calendar. I just do it.

FWIW I drank as much (or even more) than you do. I did stop cold turkey (which I know is not advised but I had random RARE and involuntary sober days that never caused any ill-health. I am a 'slow' drinker so I'd drink say 8 drinks in 6 hours... Don't know if that makes a difference in terms of assessing your withdrawal risk).

Did you talk to your husband yet? I'm not at a point where I'm ready to face a lifetime of sobriety but I am more than ready to start to build a life where alcohol is no longer my 'go to' for everything. So that's what I told him. That I was looking to find new ways to celebrate, grieve, de-stress, socialize. And that I was going to do an 'experiment' and stop drinking as part of my every day routine. It got me the support I needed. He is still drinking, actually but that's OK. He is not an alcoholic.

You can do it. I could not possibly count how many mornings I told myself that I wouldn't drink that night. And how many middle of the night panicky hours I would spend berating myself and promising myself I wouldn't drink. All to find myself pouring a huge glass at 4pm.

But make a plan for what you'll do INSTEAD of drinking. Without that plan I had no hope. It is embarrassingly shocking to me how much I enjoy the sober things. I returned a video the other night at 8pm with my kids. 8pm! And I could drive!! On Saturday someone unexpectedly came to the door at lunchtime (I was alone). I was dressed! And not hungover! (and not drinking a glass of wine 'because it's lunchtime on a weekend'). It's a whole new world.

You can do it.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Go Almay. You can do it! Just keep active and take it an hour or even a minute at a time.

There are online AA meetings too, but I don't know much about them. I'm sure one of the other SR posters can help you there.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hey, almay. You can do this. Post here instead whenever you feel like drinking.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

10 minutes can turn into an hour, can turn into 12 hours, every minute you get passed yesterday is one step closer. Just keep at it. We didnt get this way overnight!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Offering up my support and a reminder that you have to want to NOT drink more than you want to drink. Then take any means to to do it. People on this forum are here for you.

Wishing you success for yourself
Old 06-22-2010, 04:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

This place is full of folks who done it Almay.
I know you can do it too.

Don't give up.

D
Old 06-22-2010, 04:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by almay777 View Post
Thank you so much for your support I dont know what to say. Except now I really want to. Just keep busy and keep reminding myself why I need to do this.xx
You go girl! You can, when u wake up tomorrow, you goinng to feel on top of the world. One step at a time!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If you need a reason to give up, think about your precious children, think about how much more you could give them, nothing bad will happen, GOD is watching you every step of the way and HE is holding you in the palm of HiS hand, just hold onto HIM and walk confidently into tomorrow, sober, bright and fresh to take on a new day! Hugs xxx
Old 06-22-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Almay what time is it by you? how u doing? - If you've reached the end of your strength, you are allowed to lean on GOD's strength. HE offers you HIS miracle-working power - not only for today, but for all the tomorrows of your future. HIS power is new everyday. Use this inexhaustable source of power to recharge your spiritual batteries daily.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SR Fan

We're all behind you here. I always made promises in the morning and broke them by the time late afternoon came around. After doing this for years, I finally saw (duh) that I was going to repeat that pattern every day unless I reached out for help. What was scary was knowing that it was only going to get worse.

It OK to make sobriety the #1 priority (before work and kids, even) - you may have to do that initially. Have you looked into any other options: treatment, doctors, etc....?

Sorry you're hurting, almay. I'm sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Almay, I look forward to you breaking out of day 1 and building on it. Give yourself that day and tell us!