Notices

What did you think when you heard......

Old 06-20-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FGM

What did you think when you heard......

I know this isn't a personal problem of mine however I am curious to know what you thought when you heard Mackenzie Phillips had sex with her dad. The reason I ask is because when I heard I remember being shocked, but also understanding now myself knowing how terrible and how far your mind goes when your an addict. I can't say I've ever done that but I did do terrible things that other people can't say they did. I was thinking if i had never gone through alcoholism I would have probably looked at her situation completely differently. I probably wouldn't have had very much compassion for the girl. But my question is, what did you think when you heard and did your addiction make you look at it differently because as I can say for myself, the things I did while drinking were things I could never see myself doing before.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It bothered me alot. I am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse (my father) and I viewed it as that (even though she was grown) much more so then thinking of it as an alcohol issue, but obviously it was that as well.. I have done many things when I was drinking that I NEVER thought I would ever do.. I certainly have an understanding of how out of control we can be when caught up in the addiction- it is very sad.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Soberrecovery is a forum for those recovering from alcohol and substance abuse addictions and help for family and friends whos lives have been affected by someone else's addiction.

Although we care about everyone and all the issues our members struggle with, I feel topics about a third persons experience is a bit out of our focus.

2. Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
D