Notices

Two weeks....and now it gets tougher???

Old 06-20-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two weeks....and now it gets tougher???

Two weeks down today. Been so so for the last couple of weeks and had the normal ups and downs. Today started out well. Went out, did a little running around town. My family took me out to lunch for fathers day. I get home and wham!! I'm irritable and feel like just being alone. Stressing out because the last two days I have slept in till 9:30 and tomorrow work starts up again at 7:30. Both Saturday and Sunday I wake up feeling kind of like I was hung over. I've been on the same sleep and anxiety meds for the two weeks so that hasn't changed. Not too sure whats going on here.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's pretty normal to have lots of ups and downs in early recovery.

Try to focus on the Father's Day lunch you had with your family. Hopefully you will wake up tomorrow feeling good!
Old 06-20-2010, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, that sounds par for the course mftrader.

There were many times in early sobriety when I just had to remove myself from my family, much as I love them. By remove, I mean just going into the bedroom to lay for 1/2 an hour or so. It was a simple but efective solution when I felt like I couldn't cope with them or much of anything else.

Hang in there baby.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Yep , that's about it. Some days it's worse and some days it's better with the emphasis on getting a little bit better as your sobriety lasts longer.

I for example am in my sixth (Wow, that long already. I just put my sobriety date in the Sobriety counter and I was just cobsmacked) week and I'm only just beginning to get my sleep rhythm in order but my husband who stopped the same day as me really has it hard at the moment. (Midlife crisis, well paid job but crap corporate environment and no sweet release because we both know it's an illusion)

So just hang on in there and slowly but surely it will get better.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

There's lots of ups and downs trader. If you got to go in a room by yourself and chill do it. You're doin great to of made it two weeks. I get stressed about havin to get up early too, but it's better to get up sober without alcohol in your system and little sleep then up with alcohol in you and more crappy sleep. Hang in there.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
...than never

Right at about two weeks, I almost drank, but decided to wait 'til the next day. I am now almost eight weeks in and very glad I didn't drink then. But it's only now that it seems my physical strength is getting back to normal. The sleep patterns are still off, but getting a little better.

I went out for a bike ride today and made it to the top of a local peak. There were a few other people there who'd arrived in cars and I was sharing the view with them. One guy walked by me and said "you rode up here?!". I allowed that I had and he said "I couldn't do that." Coincidentally he was bringing an empty champagne bottle to the trash can nearby. I almost said "I couldn't either, when I was drinking", but decided to let it pass.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

The most useful thing I ever learned is that recovery is not linear...if it was it'd be a damn sight easier but I'm not sure we'd learn as much

As others have said, what you're experiencing is completely normal - focus on the good stuff and stick with it, a day at a time

D
Old 06-20-2010, 10:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Originally Posted by betterlate View Post
Right at about two weeks, I almost drank, but decided to wait 'til the next day. I am now almost eight weeks in and very glad I didn't drink then. But it's only now that it seems my physical strength is getting back to normal. The sleep patterns are still off, but getting a little better.
Thanks for that. I feel like a wet blanket and feel like maybe I'll stay like that for the rest of my life. This gives me hope.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
spilledmilk

It's definately hard in the begining , but what I always tell myself that I don't want to ruin all the hard work that i've already put in. It sucked the first time around and I certainly don't want to do it again. You will start to feel better. So just remember you've already come so far and put so much work in, another drink will just create another cycle whereas keeping sober will eventually pay off big time by taking you to where you really want to be. Good luck! You will start to feel better, hang in there!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 09:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Kept busy at work all day so that kept my mind off things. But when I get home its a whole different mind set. I think I have muttered less than ten words all night. I just keep to myself and ignore the family. I have told them about the change I'm going through and don't know if it will ever end. Rest assured if I come home and start acting normal and happy it probably means I'm off the wagon.