Notices

second chance

Old 06-20-2010, 04:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up second chance

Well, here it is, 7 days, one week of sobriety. It seems a bit silly posting about it, just 7 days, but a week ago that seemed impossible. A huge thank you to everyone on SR who provided me with encouragement and insight.

The cravings have been manageable, finally showing up on days 4 and 5. The first few were scary, the Pure Need to drink. I thought my way through them, and noticed that they subsided within a few minutes. After the next few I started thinking “Well, here’s another one. Let’s just wait a few moments and it will pass.” Now when I have them I just watch the thought, as a bystander would, and it just fades quickly. The brute force method is not working. Now I suspect my brain will start being subtle, seductive. But I’m watching.

A bit of levity: Friday UPS delivered a fairly large, flat package. I thought, “Huh, I don’t remember ordering anything. Uh-oh...” I unpacked it. It was a nice unframed art print. Of course I don’t remember ordering it. I checked and sure enough I did it Saturday night during my last binge.

It’s nice, a bit pricy given my current economic status, but I’ll have it framed, and I’ll have a secret when I look at it. Nobody but me will know it’s a nice reminder of both my drunkeness and my sobriety.

Onwards to week two.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

i Like Your Story About Drunk Buying! Hope You Enjoy Your New Start..
Old 06-20-2010, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've always found the first week or two to be the worst to get thru. Congrats on your first sober week, and many more sober weeks to come.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I don't think it's silly to post about 7 days.....I think it's IMPORTANT! Stopping is so hard....celebrate it.

Love the story of the picture frame. What a great motivation!
Old 06-20-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

Congratulations on the first week. I think it is by far the hardest.

I also liked the story of your new art piece.
If it helps to keep you from drinking over the long term it is probably the best investment you will ever make.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi KingsCross - 7 days is definitely worth celebrating!! The first week was the hardest for me, too. Everything seemed a little strange - I had some confusion, dropped things alot, still had insomnia/headaches, etc etc..... But there's also nothing like those first mornings without a hangover either! Aaahhhhh.....

Keep up the good work!