Notices

Day 23 and I've got Shingles! Ha!

Old 06-19-2010, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 23 and I've got Shingles! Ha!

But I'm not gonna' drink over it! I discovered a little rash on my torso a few days ago which only continued to spread and become very itchy. Went to the Dr. and turns out it's shingles which can be caused by lowered immune system and/or stress. Interestingly enough, I feel WAY less stressed in the last couple of weeks since I quit drinking but perhaps it's just a holdover from the drama just over three weeks ago.

In the past, I would have just looked at it and drank, hoping it would go away. Instead, I went to the Dr. right away and got an antiviral medication and steroid and a cream. By catching it immediately, I should hopefully lessen the duration and pain. So far it's not painful and just really itchy.

Other than that, I feel great. Physically, emotionally, mentally I am so strong and getting better every day. Not drinking is amazing and has changed my life in so many ways for the better. I sleep well, think clearly and am starting to smile again. My eyes are bright and clear and I'm a much friendlier, happier guy.

I plan to keep it going!! Have a great sober weekend everybody,

Steven
Old 06-19-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

That's wonderful, Steven! (not the shingles of course). What a great post. Probably any big change in physiology is a stressor - I've had two sinus/allergy colds in the past month of sobriety, even though I'm taking lots of vitamins, eating better, etc.....

I know what you mean about having "clear eyes" - just that alone is such a good feeling. And being able to really smile again..... priceless!
Old 06-19-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It could be your body's reaction to the release of the stress of drinking in your life. I have often found that I get sick after the stress or crisis is over.

I'm glad you are taking care of your health and doing well!
Old 06-19-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

23 Days is worth it! I hope you make it! The promises do work!
Old 06-19-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you feel better soon Steven - 23 days is great!

D
Old 06-19-2010, 07:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Shingles are not fun.

Good for you for continuing your sobriety in spite of the fact!
Old 06-19-2010, 10:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job on 23 days! Hope your suffering is minimized and you continue to grow in your recovery.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey advice about shingles only thing helped me with the itch calomine lotion LOL
Old 06-20-2010, 05:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome on the 23! WOO HOO!!

Yeah, I remember when I got sober. I never really was one to get sick and then got some kind of horrible cold/virus, it would seem like it would go away and come back. Had to go to the doctor and get an antibiotic to finally kick it out of my system. I kind of think the same as Anna. I think my body was kind of stressed still and maybe a little weak.

Hope you're feeling better real soon!
Old 06-20-2010, 11:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for sharing. I'm on day 7 and am fighting a bad cold. I had a suspicion it was due to the major stress of giving up alcohol and all of the guilt and hard feelings that surfaced right away. Keeping on!
Old 06-20-2010, 06:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Shingles, Herpes Simplex and L-Lysine

Hi Stephen,

I used to be a heavy sufferer of the Herpes simplex virus. Commonly known as Cold sore but because it didn't show up on my lip but on my lower back I thought it was Shingles.

Both are herpes viruses. I had it every month regular as clockwork just before my period and it was agonising. Itching, burning it just kept on coming.
I must have used litres of Zovirax and other anti viral creams costing me an arm and a leg.

I complained to someone and she came up with a L-Lysine. An essential amino acid our body can't produce ourself and something commonly found in foods such as cheese, eggs, fish, Lima beans, milk, potatoes, red meat, soy products, and yeast. She used it for her herpes attacks.

Now I'm not saying this could help you and I don't write this as medical advice because I'm not certified to do so but I bought a pot of the stuff and took between one and two grams a day (1000- 2000 mg). Not only did it stop an attack in its tracks but after a couple of weeks of taking it it did not come back for years.

Now if once in a blue moon I feel that familiar itch I just take one gram and I can get on with my life.

I have not had to take a single dose of L-Lysine for at least three years now and I have had ton loads of stress, bad food and not to mention serious amounts of alcohol.

Added to that it also seemed to work a treat for my husband when he suffered from herpes attacks

I hope this helps.