Notices

60 Days: It does get easier!

Old 06-16-2010, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

60 Days: It does get easier!

Hi everyone! Due to being very busy I have had less time to check in on this board lately, but I hope to come back more often soon.

Today I am sixty days sober. At the time I quit, it was highly unusual for me to be sober for one day.

60 Days ago, I came to this website terrified and hopeless. That first day, I started a journal and wrote myself this message on the first page: "It will get easier--eventually." I was terrified that it might not be true . . .

but guess what? It DID get easier.

I am writing on this board right now for those of you who are coming here and who are in the place I was two months ago--hanging by a thread, all torn up inside. Right now it seems impossible to quit drinking, but in sixty days, if you feel like I do, you'll wonder how it was possible you did all that drinking in the first place.

I'm not gonna lie: there are still challenges, and coping with my emotions is probably the most difficult thing right now, since I'm only now learning how to let things go in a natural way. But on a zillion levels my life has improved. I am much healthier--mentally, physically, and emotionally. You will be too.

I am so grateful to everyone here who has helped, especially in those first days when I felt incredibly unsteady. For me, it took a lot of courage to post here at first, but being met with such supportive comments changed everything. I truly believe I could not have done this without SR.

Also, in my first post, I mentioned that I was worried about what to drink at dinner time --and that in the past, efforts to stop had been foiled by that problem, because I believed I should have "good wine" (even though most of what I drank was cheap junk) to match a "good dinner"--and that a "good dinner" natually had a few cocktails before it. Now I no longer care about that -- like many people here, I have found I now prefer to keep things simpler -- but I do have one great recommendation for anyone out there looking for something unsweet & unique to drink at dinner time -- Iced Hibiscus Tea! (it's decaf, and may help reduce blood pressure!). I also had a grand time filling my empty wine rack (it's built in, unfortunately) with San Pelligrino bottles. Beautiful bottle, tasty fizzy water, and only about $1 per bottle if you buy in bulk!
Old 06-16-2010, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

60 Days, wow that's great. Thanks for posting for the person who has 20 days and doesn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. God Bless
Old 06-16-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

..simply wonderful..congrats..Oz..
Old 06-16-2010, 03:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome work AmericanGirl I also picked up a case last weekend... of San Pelligrino sparkling water that is

Keep up the great work
Old 06-16-2010, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Great job on the big 6-0, AG! Man, what an awesome feeling that is, huh? You're right, it does get easier. And life gets muuuuuuuuch better. I'm happy to be here with you.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 60 days!
Old 06-16-2010, 06:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

American Girl

Congratulations to a fellow Apriller on the big 60 !!.....

Thanks for all your support and honesty the past two months.

Sobriety is sooo sweet !!!!!

Grateful in Carolina

Old 06-16-2010, 07:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-16-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done, AG and what an inspirational post! I am not far ahead on day 72 and I concur. It DOES get easier. SR is always a big help. Congrats!!

Hugs,
Soph
Old 06-17-2010, 04:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

These messages really help. Thank you and keep telling us how it goes...
Old 06-17-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

60 DAYS!!!!!!! What a wonderful post to read at the beginning of my day today. Thanks American Girl and congratulations on 60 days. That's truly an accomplishment!