Notices

Homelessness

Old 06-14-2010, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Homelessness

The good news today is that I am no longer in debt. The bad news is that I believe I will wind up homeless. Instead of complaining about it, no one wants to hear a person whine, I will look at the positive aspects of my upcoming new lifestyle:

1. I will lose weight: Since I won't have anything to eat anymore I will finally slim down again. I heard you can live off of your body fat as well, so I'm set in that department.

2. I can travel the world aimlessly like it's a real-life Legend of Zelda: Now that I'm not tied down to living in one place I am free to travel wherever I want (by foot). I love traveling, maybe I can see fascinating places I've never been to before like Delaware.

3. I will be even more commited to sobriety: Drinking/drugs got me into this situation so I finally understand that I should avoid them for the rest of my life. If someone is gracious enough to give me some money I will not spend it on booze, I'll buy food or something.

4. There is always the Plymouth Library to seek shelter: I am at the Plymouth Library right now actually. It's really cool they got bathrooms, water fountains, and computers with internet access. And for once I'm not sweating vodka and watching Yes, Dear episodes on Youtube like I usually am when I'm at the Plymouth Library.

So now that I put a positive spin on homelessness it won't be so bad. Being pessimistic won't solve anything. They say you can live 30 days without food. Well I guess prepare for my funeral sometime in mid-July.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Suic,

you'll get through this.

What options are available to you right now?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not sure what my options are yet. I'm just preparing for the worst case scenario right now.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do you know if there is an AA meeting anywhere near you right now? It might be a good thing to speak face to face with some people who understand your situation.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

Hi Suic, Welcome, well im glad you have a positive side, that will definately be a plus point and well done for putting your time to good use, you will make it through this and you will be a stronger and better person. Being out of debt is the best thing, I am in debt way more than I can ever pay back, (i am unemployed) for 10 years now, and those debt collectors hound you, day after day, would make anyone want to drink! So well done on being debt free. Keep posting, let us know how u are doing.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Right now I don't even have the means of getting to a meeting anymore. I could make a phone call or two though.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

The Salvation Army can help. They have a housing program and an addiction program. Then there are food stamps and maybe some housing assistance like the General Relief program the have here in CA.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not again

Yoy can find an AA meeting on the internet or explain why.....
"Right now I don't even have the means of getting to a meeting anymore."
But....
"2. I can travel the world aimlessly like it's a real-life Legend of Zelda: Now that I'm not tied down to living in one place I am free to travel wherever I want (by foot). I love traveling, maybe I can see fascinating places I've never been to before like Delaware."

(things that make me go mmmmm....)
Larrylive
Old 06-14-2010, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What happened man, why do you think you will be homeless all of the sudden?
Old 06-14-2010, 02:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A phone call or two? So you have someone you could call?
Old 06-14-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Right now I'd say theres a 75/25 percent chance of homelessness. Not sure yet still. Just bracing myself.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

If you call the AA hotline, most places might send somebody to come and get you and take you to a meeting.

Don't be so depressed about the future and your "end date"... the funny thing is I've been thinking along those lines lately too. I got some money, but it will run out & who knows after that... But I'm trying to just take it day at a time (like AA, yeah, I know, I know) so that I enjoy each day some at least.

Have hope & hang on in there,
TB
Old 06-14-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Joey - spend some time on this website - it's mainly focused on CA. but it has some nationwide links and useful information

I Hate My Life

D
Old 06-14-2010, 05:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

hey suic - Do you have any resources at all? (Car, money, friends, family?) I would call the nearest Salvation Army and just see what kind of resources they have.

I'm glad you seem to have a sense of humor about this - I just feel for you.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

OK miraculously it turns out I'm not homeless, yet, came frighteningly close and it's still a possibility down the road. Just gotta stay sober, pray to find a job, and hope things improve. Thank you all for your support, going through a really difficult time and it means the world to me. I'll keep coming back to this website.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

A friend of mine ended up homeless due to alchololism. They got him into a dry house straight away. He is now a year sober and loving every minute of life.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

There are many D&A treatment facilities throughout the country to help get you back on your feet. I suggest contacting the County Mh/MR/D&A where you currently live. There are also many medicaid funded facilities, non-profit shelters, etc. Do some research online. Worst case scenario, look up Hogar Crea. You may need to get a bus ticket to a different state but Hogar Crea does not require money or insurance - plus, it is a long term program. Not for everyone but it is out there if you need it.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Suic,

so glad to read your last post!

Wow, there's a wake-up call. Sounds like you had a close shave.

How's today going?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Originally Posted by suic View Post
OK miraculously it turns out I'm not homeless, yet, came frighteningly close and it's still a possibility down the road. Just gotta stay sober, pray to find a job, and hope things improve. Thank you all for your support, going through a really difficult time and it means the world to me. I'll keep coming back to this website.
Whew................... I was worried about you. Glad to hear this!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Happy to see you are positive about your situation...

Cleaning up wreckage caused by our drug alcohol abuse is difficult, but with a postive attitude, you will get through it...

Sending strength your way...
Missy