Notices

New seaking help with options

Old 06-13-2010, 06:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New seaking help with options

Trying to keep it short. History: drinking for 30 years. Jan 2010 after a major weekend of drink I had massive liver issues. Several hospital tests confirmed stage 4 liver failures. One more drink and I die.
So, I quit until 2 weeks ago when I had a family reunion and then it continued last week while on a trip to Canada. I went off meds. And my body had a major downturn. Liver hurts, yellow eyes. Loss of motor skills. Went to the Dr. this Friday and they said I needed professional mental help.
Yes I knew it might kill me but I did it anyway. WHY? I had been not drinking for over 5 months with any issues. My wife is done with me and after 3 days of recovery this weekend and some major talks I will be going to a mental health provider this week
So there is some back ground.
My questions are what kind of mental health provider? And the bigger question is knowing that one more drink might be my last why did I start?
My wife thinks I have underlying issues with my family and I do. Issues with her, Yes, I did some research on the different types of Professional Counselor, Psychologists and social workers and do not know where to start
I am also concerned with going through insurance for rehab treatment and how it might effect my job
Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks,
Info
Old 06-13-2010, 07:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Considering the severity of your physical problems, I'm not sure now is the time for psychological treatment. Shouldn't the physical issues be taken care of first? I mean, to put it bluntly, if your liver damage is that far advanced, it may be too late for a psychologist.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi IS,

I've been told, and my own experience agrees that NOTHING will keep an alcoholic away from a drink if he/she has no defence against the physical and mental cravings. I have had some long periods of abstinence but always picked up a drink again because I felt ok again, and somehow the horrors that drinking caused didn't seem so bad or so many.

Many people find that a support network (AA, this site, and the various recovery options you'll find here) and / or a daily program of treatment is effective in helping them to achieve and MAINTAIN sobriety.

Being newly sober myself, I'd recommend you spend some time here reading and posting - it is a fantastic source of practical and emotional support.

Good luck my friend!
Old 06-13-2010, 07:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nothing can be done. My chems are close to normal at last check 3 weeks ago. Back on meds for 3 days and all looking well but numb right foot. I will be seaking help anway thus the post for advice on the best mental help provider for my issues.

Dr. says I might live 6 mo or 6 years. No way to tell. Just get stable and seak help.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Infoseaker

Why did you drink? Why did any of us push the envelope as much as we did - cos we thought we could probably 'get away' with it, I guess?

Denials a major part of addiction.

After many too close shaves I found out I couldn't get away with it anymore - somehow accepting that my drinking days were actually, finally, done made it easier for me...it was like a huge weight was lifted...I wasn't fighting myself anymore and I had that much more effort to put into getting well. I hope you can reach that point soon.

Did your Dr give you any guidance on what your options were?

For me I'd be grasping at any support I could get to help me stop and stay stopped and doing them all - whether it be rehab, counselling, AA or whatever.

D
Old 06-13-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome info - I'm sorry to hear about your health. I hope you can get the support you need to stop.

My thoughts are that if you call a rehab center in your area, they might be able to recommend a doctor or psychiatrist who specializes in addiction. Just be sure to be honest about your situation (it might help in getting you in right away, too).

I would guess that people who you work with at least suspect you have a problem. Is there any chance they would give you the time you need to get inpatient treatment?

Like Dee said, I would pursue any and all avenues in addition to AA and SR. It's never too late to get sober.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

..google..'Baclofen/alcoholism..'..might just help to discuss with the doc..Oz.