Here it Is

Old 06-12-2010, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Here it Is

Why is it easier for me to admit to you that I have a problem than to admit to you that HE has a problem. I have been a lurker here on this portion of the forum taking comfort in the fact, sad as it is, that I have plenty of company.

I have been sober for 2 years and two months and can not STAND being around my husband when he drinks...which is often.

I hate the look and the smell of him drunk....becuase he is me.

There. I said it.

And I will be staying sober today.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Because you can do something about your problem, but his is totally out of your control?

And Congratulations!
Old 06-12-2010, 07:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Congratulations on your sobriety!

Welcome to the other side of recovery (loved ones addiction)!

You (in some form or another) took step one as an alcoholic:
You admitted your powerlessness over alcohol and admitted your life had become unmanageable.

Taking step one from the other side of recovery:
Admitting you are powerless over alcohol and your life has become unmanageable, is a tough step to take - AGAIN.

For me it meant admitting that the marriage was not all that it appeared to be on the outside. It meant admitting that the marriage was not all that I believed it was (fantasy thinking). It meant admitting that my partner was beyond my control, and I had to accept that for my own serenity.

I wanted my A to wake up and smell the coffee! I wanted my A to get with the program and embrace sobriety so we could live happily ever after.

And I really wanted my A to stop drinking so it would stop reminding me how irresponsible my own behavior had been.

I had to forgive myself.
Then I had to forgive my A for not being what I wanted him to be.

Then I began my recovery from the other side of the street..
Old 06-12-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Originally Posted by Still Waters View Post
Because you can do something about your problem, but his is totally out of your control?

And Congratulations!

Yes.

I ordered the book recommended here- Codependent No More, I believe it is called. I have to get on with it. Lord I hope that book arrives today!!!

Yesterday my mailbox was OPEN and EMPTY and I thought to myself, Dear Lord I hope no one took that book. Today I am thinking that if they did take it, I hope that they need it more than I do. That's really a curse upon them though and I ought to be ashamed!

Thanks!