Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Monday is my one-year wedding anniversay, and I'm leaving my husband.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, all. Glad to be back and gleen the wisdom from everyone here who has had the same struggle of letting go of their alcoholic spouse.

Monday is my one-year wedding anniversary. Two weeks ago, my husband left, after a huge argument we had over his jealousy and insecurity. He has never stopped being suspicious of me, even though I have been faithful to him throughout our relationship. At one point, he broke into a locked trunk and read my journals. He has erased innocent text messages from my phone from platonic male friends, and read my emails without permmission. I thought by marrying him, it would all stop. But then, I also thought that he could stop drinking on his own, too. Ah, foolish hope!

I told him I could not live like this anymore---feeling policed and suffocated, and always on the lookout for signs he was drinking again. He stopped drinking for a few months, and was attending one-on-one counselling to address his anger issues and childhood sexual abuse, but as soon as we had another conflict, he used it as an excuse to go live at his buddy's place and get his drunk on.

I'm glad he is gone, because it has given me time to get my head peaceful again, and decide what I need to do for me. Last year, I was going to move away, but I decided to stay and try to work it out. I gave this relationship one more year of my life, and I am not going to give it any more years of my life. So at the moment, I am busy getting my house ready to put on the market, and I am going to be returning to the city I moved from to come here. I am looking forward to the move, and getting back to my friends and hobbies I left behind.

I have reached the point where I feel detached, emotionally numb and "done"--and I have never felt this way before. I have fallen out of love. He took all of my mental energy, and I realized I just cannot have a spouse that will never be capable of doing for me all that I did for him---and probably doesn't even have those instincts to do right by me in the first place. You don't know selfish until you have lived with an alcoholic, I learned. I realized this man will never have my best interests at heart, and that hurts. He will never his own best interests at heart, which is worse.

Interestingly, "morbid jealousy" can result from alcoholism---one more way the brain gets its chemistry all switched around and broken. Once I discovered that, it truly hit me---he was changing who he was through drinking. He is breaking down his brain, his liver, his kidneys---slowly poisoning his organs. Hastening mental illness, hastening his death. I don't want to watch it anymore.

My husband is part native, with a family history of alcohol abuse. Last year, his mother , who was full-blooded native, died from the result of her alcoholism after falling into a coma and suffering massive organ failure. Before she died, she was severly mentally ill for years as a result of her alcoholism. He watched his own mother die because of this disease, and he continues his love affair with the bottle.

I have finally realized how truly helpless I am in this, something I didn't want to admit for the longest time. I thought if I loved him hard enough, and supported him, he would want to get better, and would get better.

Maybe I'm leaving so I don't have to watch him die.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
aboutdone

I'm glad your here. I feel for you and what you are going through. Alcoholism, truly is such a horrible disease, and even though it is one that can be arrested, and somewhat controlled, it is so tragic that in many cases the person isn't able to do that.

It is hard to accept that the person you once cared so deeply for, doesn't always care enough about themselves, because of everything their body has went through with the alcoholism.

It seems you have a good understanding of things, and a plan of action. I wish you well, and know we are here for you.

I am sure others with more wisdom and words of encouragement will be along shortly.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Sometimes, it's more than just drinking that makes life with someone unbearable. This guy has serious issues that may or may not be linked to alcohol. Just because someone stops drinking doesn't mean they aren't still a jerk. Take care of yourself.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

What innate wisdom you hold. Thanks for coming here and honestly sharing, please keep writing!
Old 06-11-2010, 10:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Kudos to you for getting out after only one year. I could have written your story except that I hung on for six years of jealousy and craziness due to my XAH's alcoholism. I wish I had gotten out much sooner. It doesn't get better...it just gets worse. My advice to you is to run as fast as you can and don't look back.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paintbaby View Post
I have reached the point where I feel detached, emotionally numb and "done"--and I have never felt this way before. I have fallen out of love. He took all of my mental energy, and I realized I just cannot have a spouse that will never be capable of doing for me all that I did for him---and probably doesn't even have those instincts to do right by me in the first place. You don't know selfish until you have lived with an alcoholic, I learned. I realized this man will never have my best interests at heart, and that hurts. He will never his own best interests at heart, which is worse.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you, everyone, for the support and kind words.

Feeling strong in this situation is a new thing for me. I feel strong, yet fragile, if that makes any sense. I do feel as if I am taking back control of my life, instead of feeling bitterly numb and trapped, as I have been. Now I have hope--no longer misplaced hope on him, but hope for my own plans and goals leading to a fulfilling life. This safe space here has helped me realize some hard truths over the last few months, and I thank everyone for their wisdom.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you!
Old 06-12-2010, 05:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just. Wow.

I'm thinking of all the years YOU now won't be poisoned, by alcoholism. Years you can go on to live a wonderful life.

CLMI
Old 06-12-2010, 06:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh WOW. Years ahead of you to live the life you want, with someone who loves you, not a bottle.
Years of building, not looking back on a lost and wasted past with the burden of his drinking.
Half your wisdom and luck would be wonderful for lots of us here.

God bless