Notices

Day 3 GAHH

Old 06-11-2010, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 GAHH

Trying to keep my mind focused, and off of the side effects and anxiety. Guess I'll post my story first.

I'm age 23, just graduated in May from a four year with a degree in computer science. I somehow managed a decent gpa, full ride scholarship, and 30ish hours of work a week. I started drinking about 2 years ago, when I moved from a smaller school to a larger 4 year university while switching my major to cs. I also have the most amazing girlfriend in the world (my future wife if I don't screw it up) whom has had to work with me in this long distance relationship while I tried to hide my drinking. She actually doesn't drink at all, so I'm hoping her support will help me if I can actually move back to her.

About my drinking, I started out just drinking a few times every now and then with my buddies, which was okay at first. Then I got to the point where when I did drink, I had to drink so much that I was beyond gone. I started doing stupid things and getting angry sometimes, but never caused any huge problems. My girlfriend has tolerated me through all of this, which is amazing. I'm not sure why I drink, sometimes I think it's boredom. For instance, 3 days ago, I went on a 3 day binge, drinking so much alcohol I have almost no idea exactly how the day played out.

I have NEVER drank and drove, however I am house sitting for a friend and his family (they provided the alcohol, because they knew I liked to drink, but didn't know I had a problem, which I embarrassingly drank every drop they had almost) So at one point and left and went down the road to a local store, and hit one of those telephone lights in the parking lot going about.. 3 mph. Nobody was hurt, but my car is pretty badly damaged and I will have to use my insurance to pay it. I feel like a fool and should have never done something like that.

I decided to quit cold turkey and try to keep my mind focused on the rest of my life. I feel very anxious and almost depressed about not being able to find a job and move back to where my girlfriend is. I am on day three from the binge and have the worst withdrawal symptoms. Night #2 was like hell, I had 5 horrendous and vivid nightmares that woke me up in a cold chilled sweat. I have pain in some of my muscles from the cramps, no matter how much water I consume I still feel shaky, my skin feels itchy, I'm weak, and I cannot eat. (I'm going to try and make myself eat some soup after this)

I just wanted to share my story and get something going that I can update. It's nice to read some of the success stories posted online. I can only thank god that I didn't hurt anyone the other day. From some of the binges I've had I don't even know how I'm alive.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Programmer27

I always encourage everyone to see their Dr...even tho what you describe was pretty much par for the course for me, it's always a good idea to get checked out anyway.

I'm glad you've made such a smart decision now instead of later like I did.
I know you'll find a lot of support and encouragement here.

welcome!
D
Old 06-11-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

Glad you're here.. I haven't regretted being sober yet!
Old 06-11-2010, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

hi programmer and welcome to SR! Glad you posted - it's not easy to admit we have a problem with drinking, so I commend you for that! Things WILL get better and the next time you want to pick up a drink, just think about how you've been feeling the past couple days. Take heart, though: it gets better!!! You can do it!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have faith that I can do this. I hope the future comes quickly, because I can't wait to get away from this time in my life. I'll just have to take it one day at a time.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Programmer,

I am glad that you have decided to live a sober life!

There is lots of support, so keep reading and posting here.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! Like many here on this site, you definitely can recover and put this behind you. It's a priceless gift you are giving yourself and the loved ones in your life by starting now. Please read and post. It has helped me immensely.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey what up program, My story played out alot like yours... 22 years old in college, great girlfriend, promising future but unfortunately I looked past too many wake-up calls and lost everything. I to would drink to just get totally wasted and I was really good at it. Please if you really do intend on staying with your girlfriend get all the help you can now, I promise you the pain of not drinking now is nowhere near the pain of knowing that drinking caused the person you love to leave you. Its taking me 7 years since then to wake up and realize just where drinking has gotten me and what it has done. I only wish I would of had somebody sit me down and get through to me just how lucky I was to be where I was at that point in my life and not to ruin it. It is a huge step for you to make it to this site, I found this site a few weeks ago and its helped me through some tough times of wanting to go booze up. Good luck in your efforts to quit
Old 06-12-2010, 01:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I decided to finally quit drinking after a few episodes of what you are going through. I thought I was going to shake to death a couple times and I ended up in the ER with severe dehydration, one time in ICU from a bad reaction from alcohol, anti-depressants, and valium. I have always suffered from anxiety too so that made everything much worse (panic, paranoia).

It is good you are taking action while you are still young. If I could take it all back I would have quit back in my 20's too.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day four... trying to figure out my car situation, but it's another day haha. still have cold chills for some reason, but I slept much better lastnight.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

each day you'll feel a little stronger and better both physically and mentally. You will approach your work and other problems in a more rational manner and have less anxiety. This is how it works for me....problems no longer seem so huge, because I am thinking clearly and not getting angry and worked up into a frenzy.

I'm a big believer in "relaxing tea" and a good night's sleep, good nutrition and a good vitamin and b-complex....within a couple of weeks, you won't believe how different you will feel..for the better.....

congratulations on a wise decision.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are in the right place for support, knowledge & inspiration! I too am on day 4 AND I KNOW WE CAN DO IT!!!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey man. I'm a PhD student in Computer Science and I have been in a very similar position to you.

You're making the right decision to fight the good fight. You can do it. Others are doing the same thing.

You'd be surprised how much sobriety can improve the level of code you can write. For me, it moved me to the next level. (or at least my comments were more coherent and had less f-bombs in it..)
Old 06-13-2010, 01:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

haha academia that's hilarious, and nice to know another cs guy in this. WELP another day down... day 5 coming along great. Feeling better and ready to get prepped for my interview on Friday.