Another low point

Old 06-11-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another low point

I hit another low point with my husband's alcohol problem. I just realized that he is drinking during the day he has off, which is Thursday and that is when he has to go pick up our son from daycare. That means he's driving with our son in the car while he has been drinking.

I found this out because yesterday morning I counted the empty bottles of beer in the box before I went to work. There were 10. When I got home that evening I went to look in the box - there were 14 bottles. That means in the course of the day he drank 4 bottles of beer. I don't know if it was before he got in the car to pick up our son or after. But I think it was before because he picked him up at 4:30 pm and by the time I got home it was 5:30 pm.

I was angry with him and confronted him. He tried to deny that he drank anything. But I told him I knew and that he shouldn't be drinking and driving a car especially with our son in it. Later that night he appologized and said he was going to quit drinking. But he didn't say it in a sorry manner. He said it in an angry begrudging manner. So I don't know, we'll see.

Ah the drama....
Old 06-11-2010, 06:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you started Al-Anon? It seems like you could use some IRL support!

As for your husband's drinking, I completely understand wanting to monitor him because his drinking endangers your son. However, the added stress of having to check up on him isn't good for you... It sounds like it's time for you to make alternate arrangements for daycare pickup. Is there anyone else who could do this for you?
Old 06-11-2010, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well Not really. I have my father in law who lives in the apartment upstairs in our building. I told him about this incident (we had spoken before about my husband's drinking) and basically he said that there is nothing he can do. His son is a grown man and needs to learn how to control himself. My father in law lost his wife (my husband's mom) about a year and a half ago and he just wants to mind his own business and live a quiet life. He is getting up there is years and can't deal with these situations.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sadly, it sounds like you're going to have to do whatever you can to ensure that your husband doesn't drive intoxicated any longer, even if it means reporting him to the police. He can get drunk on his own time, so long as he doesn't hurt your child in the process.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

My advice it to get to Alanon and report him when he's drinking and driving, With or without your son.

nodaybut2day is right about the added stress of monitoring his drinking. It's not helping anyone. Just stressing you out. It's not fair to you.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Let's switch gears here in this specific thread. What do you want for yourself Puccibird? What do you want for your son? Where do you see yourself in five years? How do you plan on getting there?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Nothing changes if nothing changes.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Climbing hills, flying down...

I would also say...keep your son safe; drinking and driving...what if something terrible were to happen? What do you want for your son, yourself, now, and in the future?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well he said that he was going to quit. It has been four days now and he hasn't had any drinks. I hope this will last. Or else, I will just have to leave because I don't like all this drama in my life.