Notices

Eek!!!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Eek!!!

Wow; I didn't think it would be this difficult! Welcome to my evening #2 sans wine...

After reading a thread on SR about "What do I drink now?", I went to Wal-Mart and bought every known juice, lemonade, iced tea, fruit-vegetable concoction I could get my paws on. Seriously, I could throw a birthday party for 200 five year olds and still be good in the beverage department!

As I'm waiting in line, my chest is tightening and I'm thinking, "Dear God...I'm going to have my first panic attack over wine??? Are you kidding me?!" Luckily my Lamaze classes from 10 yrs ago served me well and I started deep breathing...you can only imagine the looks that got me! LOL

So I made it home, threw what few frozen items I could fit in my cart amongst all the juice in the freezer and sat down to "release" to my new friends at SR. I am now going out for a jog before my head pops of my shoulders. I need some frustration relief! Stay tuned for that post-jog story because I'm sure it will be equally as amusing.

Humor is how I deal and I’ll be darned if I’m going to let this thing beat me. Thank God I found this site!!
Old 06-10-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

how much wine were you drinking per day? (maybe you are my neighbor? twin?)...I stopped drinking wine (between 8-10 glasses a night) and switched to "relaxing tea" because I had a great deal of trouble sleeping...I had night sweats, auditory hallucienations for a couple of days, achey legs...and both upper and lower GI upset.

I quit while I was home sick recovering from some flu-like virus which exacerbated the symptoms....I did n't have the energy to exercise until week 3.

good luck, the exercise will make you feel better too.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Looking,

congrats on dealing with a difficult situation so successfully.

I'm loving your posts - more please!
Old 06-10-2010, 07:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, Fandy it sounds like you had a horrible time of it. Congrats on weathering the storm and coming out victorious!

I had worked my way up to 1 to 1.5 bottles a night. I am very fortunate that my withdrawal has been so mild.

I have read so many stories that make my heart almost skip a beat. The strength and sheer determination so many have shown to reclaim the life that is so rightfully theirs is truly awe inspiring!

Thanks for sharing your experience with me
Old 06-10-2010, 07:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Thanks for joining us, Looking! Yes, this is a really good place to find encouragement, wisdom, assistance...It's awesome. And congrats on 2 days without the wine! Those first few can be rough, can't they?

Have you thought any type of program to help you with your desire to stop drinking? I'm a big fan of AA, but I know there are others here who use many different tools to help them not drink. Thanks for introducing yourself to us and I hope you stay a while.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Hi there,

Welcome here. You'll find a lot of good people and support here. I'm in my fourth week and getting stronger everyday. Let the panic come and go because trust me it is transient.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you found this site too!! Humor is always welcome!! And Hooray for you... its not easy when everywhere you go sells booze. I am from Canada so you can only buy it in special liquor or beer stores. A week ago I would have told you how stupid that is.. but now I am kind of thankful!

Nice to meet you, please stick around and make me laugh some more!!
Old 06-11-2010, 07:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Seriously, I could throw a birthday party for 200 five year olds and still be good in the beverage department!
I love it! And, being a mom, it brought up alot of memories: I don't know why, but my kids always liked the RED koolaid and juice better, the kind that stained absolutelyeverything . Lord have mercy, it's a wonder I still don't have nightmares about it.

Speaking of beverages, I think it would be fun to make smoothies and/or slushies. I haven't gotten around to it yet because my blender broke last year and I need a new one, but it would be a fun way to establish new habits.

Good to hear you didn't have bad withdrawals. Hang in there (ODAAT)!
Old 06-11-2010, 07:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Glad you're here. Congrats on 2 days sober. That's a great feat. Keep up the good work and drink LOTS of juice.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post

Speaking of beverages, I think it would be fun to make smoothies and/or slushies. I haven't gotten around to it yet because my blender broke last year and I need a new one, but it would be a fun way to establish new habits.
I started making all kinds of milkshakes. Peanut butter, strawberry-banana, I've even got some Butterfinger ice cream I may get crazy with. They taste so much better than beer, and they help me to put on weight. (I was underweight 'cause many I night I drank my dinner.)
Old 06-11-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome!
Old 06-11-2010, 07:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I keep it refreshing with lemon, seltzer and a big splash of pink grapefruit juice.... ( I need to keep my sugar intake low, so cutting the juice with seltzer works).

there is also this nice honey-vanilla tea I found at the grocery store, it tastes great over ice, and the benefit of chaomile helps me sleep...(i have always had an insomnia problem)....it will get me another 1-2 hours of sleep if I have 2-3 cups at night.