He stole from our 6 year old

Old 06-10-2010, 12:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He stole from our 6 year old

She is just newly 6. She had left her money in her purse without a wallet and had brought it downstairs last weekend.

She and I were cleaning her room and she was switching purses....noticing the money was out in the open, I told her to put her money in a wallet first and then put it in a purse. She argued with me, but I told her not to leave her money out in the open like that. Anyways, she ended up putting it in a wallet and said, "I have $6 dollars". She is supposed to have $12. He stole money from her. He would have had access to it because it was downstairs and just open in her purse.

She told me she thought she had more money. I don't even know what to tell her. No one else has been over and it is just my 2 year old, myself, and dh. She asked who took it and I said we'd ask daddy later.

He has stolen from me, my parents, and his mom. I can't even leave change around or he takes it and I have to lock up even dollar bills. I don't know what I should say to her...that would be appropriate.

It doesn't surprise me, but still I can't believe it. That is a really low.

Meanwhile, I haven't heard from him for over 24 hours. Last time we talked was when he was out of control. He worked Wed a.m. and then Wed. night, but never came home inbetween. Usually he will be home on Thurs at 8 a.m.....still nothing. I'm not calling him, but it makes me worried with all that he has been up to that something happened.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Climbing hills, flying down...

Hi Pear,

I'm so sorry for what you're going through; what a terrible thing for him to do.

I don't have any advice for your situation, but I'm sending you good thoughts and hugs.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know if I should be saying we can't leave things around because of daddy. I don't want to be one of those parents who says mean things about the other, but in this case it is true. And I don't want to hide her wallet, because well...she is so innocent she will tell him where it is hidden and then he will have her money and mine.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heathen

What a terrible situation for your child to be in. Are you ok with having to raise her around a father she cannot trust?
Old 06-10-2010, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

Wow....That is soooo flippin low. Sorry Pear. /hugs
Old 06-10-2010, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I am so sorry.

Just when you think they cannot stoop any lower they do.

When I was 6 my grandparents opened a saving account for me. They put 50.00 in it to start me off and I added my money after that. It was fun watching my little money grow.
Maybe a little saving account would work, it would get the money out of the house.

As for what to say now. How about "Daddy must have borrowed it, I'll ask him about it"

That's all I can think of.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That is horrible! Sorry that you and your little one have to go through that. I think that dollydo's ideas were good.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree - How LOW! My AH used to steal money from my wallet and then blame it on our (then 2-3 yo) son. Riiiiiiight.

I'm not sure how your AH would respond to asking if he borrowed it, I know mine would have flat out denied anything and put it back on me "forgetting" that I spent it or that our son was playing with it and lost it... He was really good at twisting stuff around and I'd end up feeling like I was going crazy or getting incredibly forgetful. I'd anticipate needing to do more damage control after asking her daddy about it...
Old 06-10-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

anvilhead, as for what I'm going to do, I filed for divorce and on Monday filed my final paperwork re: visitation, ect. He still refuses to move out. Maybe I should start another thread re: how to get him out without waiting for the judge to sign docs.

He should be gone in about 2 months...1 month for the judge to sign and 1 month for notice to leave.

I should do the bank account. I think one of the banks has funny money you get. However, when he is finally out of the house, then it isn't an issue. My poor daughter.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Poor kid.

Maybe this is a sign that you are doing the right thing.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I say, set him up again, and don't say anything to him. Take a mousetrap and conceal it inside her purse behind the money somewhere. When he goes for it again, I guess his bent, red fingers will remind him of what he is doing.

I wish sometimes my XAGF and I were still living together so I could put Colon Blow in her wine bottle.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Little Pear- that is just so low down and rotten.

A 6 year old is too young to protect herself or her money from thieves, especially her father. Sadly you'll have to be the one who safekeeps her money for her. I think that's all you need to say in the future - "Let mom put that away for safekeeping and when you need some we'll know right where it it is and safe."

Or maybe a little passbook savings acct. at the bank? Most banks have kiddie acct's (with you as the main acct holder).

In time she will come to know the truth about her dad.

Keep moving forward - good luck-
b