Notices

My Devious Alkie Mindset of old

Old 06-10-2010, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile My Devious Alkie Mindset of old

Hello, have been doing really well,and currently on day 46,Yipee, so we had a few busy days at work, an finish early for the day, as got everythin done, so i pull in at the supermarket, to pick up a few bits n peices, strollin down past the drinks isle..i pick up a large bottle of cider, for my wife, its cool, i dont get too bothered on this..then stroll past the beer section, and they have the limited edition, England football beer, on special like dirt cheap, the lull and buzz of temptaton of old, to pick up a half dozen bottles, kind of engulfed me, then the old rationalization, of how i should buy these for nostalgia, as collectables,keepsakes..yeah right, as theres a years sell by date on, a real must have compulsion just swamped me for moments, i had to prise myself away, from this like magnetic force of old... hence the moral of the story being...needing to keep very much foot on the gas of sobriety,and defo not lose sight of things, happy at my acheivements so far,
and aware as ever of certain triggers,temptations,whims of old, creeping back in from seemingly nowhere, being sober and staying so means everything to me, and long may it run...world cup no beers, thats how its gonna be,...enjoy the footie, and hangover free mornings, with cash in pocket,sounds like a good plan...
Old 06-10-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you!

I stayed completely away from the beer and wine aisle in the supermarket for a very long time.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good man yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations on your 46 days sober!!!

Yeah the World Cup is always a time I associate with good 'drinking' times - hot evenings outside on a terrace watching the match on the big screen with friends drinking cold beer... Will be doing all of the above tomorrow evening minus the beer! I think youz are in for a good chance this time round? Still peeved that the 'not so divine' hand of Henry knocked us out but it won't stop me from watchin :-) I'll just be cheering on anyone who's playing against France ;-)!!

Big hugs,

Almath
Old 06-10-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Yes, alcohol is "cunning, baffling, powerful". Well done on 46 days, Kerbcrawler.

They have put the England flag on absolutely everything - I'm surprised it's not on the bottles of Scotch too
Old 06-10-2010, 10:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Excellent job on recognizing your rationalization and pulling yourself away. Congratulations on 46 days!
Old 06-10-2010, 10:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I'm with Anna. I'm just over 150 days and I wouldn't be buying anyone anything alcoholic.

It's not that I think I'll immediately pop open the top and chug it down, but right now, I don't even want to go down that road. ...but that's just me.

The bottom line is it's great that you're "telling on yourself" here on SR and congrats on your 46 days, my friend.

Ok for me to say - GO USA!!! ?
Old 06-10-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Ha ha ha I could have written that myself. I know what I am like so at the moment don't go down the beer aisle - can't get away from the adverts on the telly though 3 packs for £20!!! Ha ha ha! NOOOOO!!!!

Well done on walking on by - good to hear stuff like this as it helps knowing it's not just me
Old 06-10-2010, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Mate. I keep my distance from the booze aisles in the supermarkets (although the booze is literally stacked to the ceiling in Asda right at the front of the store).

It certainly don't bother me, the obsession and compulsion has long since gone. However I know how deadly booze is to me and how the special offers can trigger old memories of days and world cups gone by. It's funny because I only ever view the booze on offer as 'sessions' rather than actual indiviual drinks. Like 3 crates of beer for £20, to me that is 3 sessions. haha.

I'm an alcoholic. Most people ain't. Fair play to them. I never wanted to drink like them anyway. All or nothing.

Well done on 46 sober days!!
Old 06-10-2010, 02:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Last time Ireland were in the world cup I ended up asleep face down on a footpath for god knows how long. Some old guy woke me up and I was pissed cause I had no drink left.

I'm an alcoholic. Most people ain't. Fair play to them. I never wanted to drink like them anyway. All or nothing.

exactly!
Old 06-10-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you in recognizing the tug and realizing it for what it was. That's huge.

Before I accepted that I was an alcoholic, I'll never forget what happened one day:

I was walking down the beer and wine aisle at Walmart and there was an older gentleman standing in front of the cooler case, as if he was in a trance, just staring at the bottles, not moving, just fixated on the bottles.

I recognized him as a security guard at a local establishment, so said hello and asked him if he was okay.

He replied, Yes, just remembering an old love affair I had long ago.

At the time, I wrote him off as a bit touched, shall we say.

Now I know better and never take strolls down memory lane (or aisle 6 at Walmart) where I might be romanticizing something that never meant love and security.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Kerb - proud of you! Every time we come through one of those challenges we are a bit stronger. It's insane how the old way of thinking can come to us out of nowhere, even though we know drinking will lead us to the same old, sick place. For a moment we fantasize that it will be different this time. The temptations do become less and less as time goes on, and we have more sober days under our belt.

I hope you have a lovely weekend and enjoy the football with a clear head and no regrets afterwards. It gets to be almost exciting, waking up with no hangover and no regrets.