Notices

Sponsor!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sponsor!

I found a sponsor whom I like and respect and am going to meet him now.

Delighted and excited to start working the steps.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great!

I hope your meeting with the sponsor goes well.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by sobermax View Post
I found a sponsor whom I like and respect and am going to meet him now.

Delighted and excited to start working the steps.
Well done, Max. I know that was not an easy thing to do. You are going in the right direction.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Anna & Intention.

I spent the day with my new sponsor and then we went to a meeting near my house. He was kind enough to buy me a copy of the BB and suggested that I volunteer for service at this meeting which I have done.

Getting the sense that he won't pull any punches, and that he sees clearly through all my ********.

Much better day all round - some positive action, and I did everything I intended to.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

I spent the day with my new sponsor and then we went to a meeting near my house. He was kind enough to buy me a copy of the BB and suggested that I volunteer for service at this meeting which I have done.
That's great. Service will be good for you. I am currently doing literature in meetings I go to but just making teas, putting out chairs, washing up, greeting people is helpful to your recovery.

Getting the sense that he won't pull any punches, and that he sees clearly through all my ********.
Sounds like exactly what you need.

Much better day all round - some positive action, and I did everything I intended to.
Excellent. Many people find the one day at a time approach helpful. You did everything that you intented to do today, today. You can do it again tomorrow, just for 24 hours.

Enjoy your sober night. Hopefully you will get some rest tonight too.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

That's great to hear, Max! It's awesome that your sponsor bought you the BB. I actually left mine at a meeting the other night and haven't had it in a couple days. I'll get it tonight, though. A guy at the meeting last night had something interesting to say. He basically said that AA is just like any other place: there are some people that are on the level and some people who are full of it. He said it can be hard to tell the difference sometimes, but that your answers lie not in people, but in the BB. He said that if you study the BB, and really study it like you would a history or science textbook, it helps you cut through a lot of the BS.

Speaking of sponsors, I have an issue in that area, if anyone could offer any suggestions. My sponsor is moving to Florida, so I'm going to need to find a new one. This is something I'm struggling with. I'm a pretty private person, in that I have a pretty close circle of friends and family, people I've known for a really long time. I don't let others in that easily, and I have issues trusting people, because I've seen first hand that many people are not who they appear to be (I was this person for a long time). So I'm having difficulty choosing a sponsor, because I really want that person to be a big part of my life. I view AA as a spiritual program, and I believe my problem of alcoholism had and has a spiritual solution. So my sponsor will in effect be sort of a spirit guide to me, and someone I would like to be able to introduce to my fiancee, family and friends, should the situation ever present itself. Am I being too picky or choosy? I know of sponsor-sponsee relationships that have deteriorated, and I don't want to be faced with that situation.

Sorry to go off on my own thing, but it is a "Sponsor!" thread, and I thought I might get an answer or 2 without starting a whole other thread, since we have millions and billions already. But I'll create a new one if I need to.

Great job again, Max! Get into that BB and discuss some things with your sponsor. Verbalizing my issues with someone who has been through similar experiences helps me a lot in my recovery.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Amazing how some action that seems totally unrelated (like taking the action of getting a sponsor and going to meet him/her) can make the REST of you day go well.

Nice work Sobermax. You're on the path. Make sure you're doing your part to stay there.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snarf
Speaking of sponsors, I have an issue in that area, if anyone could offer any suggestions. My sponsor is moving to Florida, so I'm going to need to find a new one....Am I being too picky or choosy?
You might want to start your own thread on this one so it gets the attention it deserves, Snarf.

But since I'm here and you asked, imho, your sponsor should absolutely
!rock! and no haste should be taken in getting one just to say you have one.

I'd rather postpone step work and wait to go through it with the right sponsor than hastily choose a sponsor whose experience, strength and hope was something I did not want to have.

I speak from experience on this one.

P.S. Does your current sponsor have any recommendations? What about his/her sponsor? In the past, when my sponsor went out of town or whatever, I was always given access to my sponsor's sponsor as a substitute. I liked that alot.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sponsor

Hi, my name is Tracy. I am 17 day's clean and can't find a sponsor. The only meeting I can get to is actually down the road, which makes it nice, but there are no women I can use for a sponsor, I was thinking I could get one online? THANK-YOU
Tracy
Old 06-10-2010, 06:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Tracy,

just noticed that that was your first post. Hello and welcome to SR - it is a fantastic resource.

I reckon you'll get a better response to your question if you start a new thread in this section. Just choose 'start new thread' at the top of the section page.

I don't know the answer, but someone else will. You might also like to ask in one of the live chatrooms. You'll find these on the main page.

Congrats on 17 days - looking forward to your posts.

Max
Old 06-10-2010, 06:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Tracy, I echo Max's comments. Welcome! And please, feel free start your own thread, so you can get the feedback you're looking for in its own place (as I just did per HumbleBee's suggestion).

Max, your thread has already helped 2 people!
Old 06-12-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So, I just had my first 'official' meeting with my sponsor. He asked me to tell him my story, asked some questions and clarified a few things for me (alcohol / ism for example),gave me a bit of BB homework and spoke a bit about his own experiences in a way that was easy to identify with. I am so glad that I am forcing myself to do this: whenever 'I' don't want to take action but do it anyway, I feel a little stronger.

Basically, he has what I want. He is a buddhist and doesn't bring much 'god' into things, but talks about spirituality in very practical terms - left feeling empowered and positive. Plus my wife made me fajitas which is always good. Off to a new meeting now.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Not wanting to take action is understandable and I can so relate to feeling like that - but you can see what happens when we do take action.

It sounds like you have a good sponsor there who is keen to see you work your way through the steps. Well done.

I hope you have a good meeting and also enjoy doing your homework.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

this thread has made my night! thanks sobermax!
please keep us updated.
do the work and you are in for the ride of your life.
yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeee