dating and trusting advice

Old 06-10-2010, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
today4me

dating and trusting advice

OK - everyone I've been quietly awaiting the opportunity to date and I had one early this week, but she cancelled. I have my hunches why - my faith. I met her at the club pool on Saturday and asked her out Monday.

Here is my question though. I don't trust her! Or, I think she has lied about a particular thing. She's super tanned and I mentioned to her that she must go to the tanning bed. She said no. The next day when I saw here again I asked specifically if she has ever used a tan bed. She replied well yes a few times this past winter to avoid depression.

So, I feel like I'm super-picky now because of the past lies discovered from the XAGF. I don't mess around now - meaning I'm not afraid to ask tough questions or voice my opinion. I just get the feeling she lied. I mean ever her breasts (she was wearing a bathing suit) were tanned and no visible tan line was noticed.

I asked her out for a lunch date Tuesday and she said maybe, but then later did not return a phone call to confirm it. I don't like being jittery, hoping for some insight.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

tpen, Give it some time. Now may not be the best time to get into something new.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Woman advice for 2 cents:
1. Don't ask women things about beauty or weight. We are all lovely and mysterious and wake up looking flawless. Don't question us about this. You can observe later on.

2. Why are you confirming a date? This isn't work. It is social.

3. If you asked her about tanning, you might have embarrassed her and she didn't want to go out with someone "grilling" her about her tan.

4. Asking tough questions and voicing your opininon is fine once you know someone, but it is very intense for someone you hardly know. You are trying to socially date, not interrogate.

5. Be light about dating. You are getting to know someone, not marry them. Take things one step at a time. There is no way to know for sure if someone is a crazy lying A when you just meet them a pool. If you are attracted to someone then just ask for coffee, a drink or a meal. No probing personal questions until you actually score date and are on it.

6. Be easy on yourself. We all have a learning curve and it takes time to be comfortable with ourselves after a traumatic relationship.

Why do you think your faith is the issue? If it is, then that is a dealbreaker for many. I don't care what religion someone is, but to marry and have kids, I want them to be the same as me.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
today4me

Originally Posted by MissFixit View Post
Why do you think your faith is the issue? If it is, then that is a dealbreaker for many. I don't care what religion someone is, but to marry and have kids, I want them to be the same as me.
Thanks everyone. I just want a simple date and perhaps I may have not even been ready for that! Amazing what an A can do to a person's heart in terms of trusting.

I agree - a date is a date and not to look any further than that. Feels great though to move on and have self confidence. It was so funny how she came over to ask me help move a pool chair for her. I wasn't even looking to date! I caught the hint though after she stopped me walking by her twice. She's nice and I look forward to the opportunity to ask her out again.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think you need a little more time to heal. Dating should be fun, not an interrogation. If you already have trust issues, then spend more time with yourself in the word.

And, for the record, woman do NOT respond well when you are questioning us about our bodies, tans, clothes, etc. Being critical, or confrontational does NOT put a woman at ease!

Take it easy on yourself, and just get to know you better. A fake tan should not be a dealbreaker!
Old 06-10-2010, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

honestly? she's cancelled one date, said "maybe" to another, and then failed to return a call to change a "maybe" into an actual date.

I'd be leaving the ball in her court now, and probably chalking it up to experience as one where you didn't click. Good on you for having the courage to ask her out, but keep it slow and light.

I might well freak if someone I just met kept going on about my tan, you know, it could come across as a little creepy. Especially if you were trying to catch her out in a lie, your query might well have an edge or an undertone, that she couldn't place and felt uncomfy about.

JMHO
Old 06-10-2010, 08:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have my hunches why - my faith

You're assuming a lot here. And if you just met her, the topic of faith can be a very personal one. Not everyone follows the same path and has their own beliefs. Yours don't make you right, hers don't make her right....but if you come across as if there is only one way to believe, then yes, that can be hugely intimidating, and controlling. Not saying you did that...but why faith would even be in your mind as a reason after one conversation leads to that it was brought up.

Second, you said very plainly you don't trust her....exclaimation point.
Well, women (and men) can sense this. And though you may not have felt like you came across in an interrogating distrustful way, we are often not aware of our own tone of voice, the way we say things, our mannerisms and our behavior. But someone else can see this and we give off very telling information about ourselves without even knowing it.

I would take some more time with yourself and not force dating or a date. Just let it be. This small event has clearly made you uncomfortable. Sloooowwww down.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you find yourself dating her in the future, you might mention that you have just emerged from a bad relationship with an active alcoholic and might be a little paranoid about things. That might put her at ease if you find yourself questioning her honesty. It is unusual to be such a stickler about something like a tan.
And, her awareness of your past difficulties will help her understand you better....
Old 06-10-2010, 09:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

tpen... "I've been quietly awaiting the opportunity to date".

To me this sounds like a snake in the grass just waiting to pounce on it's prey. Yikes!

Pardon me if I'm out of line...
I am glad to hear you over your past relationship... well enough to think about moving on.... but when someone begins to date... you do it with confidence.... confidence that you are well and don't need someone else to fill a gaping hole left by the last relationship that left us wounded. (i.e. trust)

Only when you ARE confident and your baggage issues have been resolved... that's when you are healthy to date. If you still have issues with trust.... you're not ready to date.... take care of yourself.... make yourself the best that you can be.... then go BOLDLY and have fun.... in the meantime... don't make someone else pay for the sins of another.

My two cents.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
today4me

I would of never known though unless I tried - asking for a lunch date that is. Waiting for the opportunity to date - meaning excited.

I've found posts sometimes are so hard to interpret. I am not a snake in the grass. Come on now? LOL. Geepers, some of you read your posts earlier about getting out and about. That's all I'm trying to do. A lunch date is pretty simple.

Bottom line...........still have trust issues and admitting it is a very good step forward.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
today4me

Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
tpen... "I've been quietly awaiting the opportunity to date".
in the meantime... don't make someone else pay for the sins of another.

My two cents.
I get it now.....or understand what you mean..........sorry.

Thanks everyone again for the insight now and previously on alcoholism. I am wiser and stronger because of it.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tpen View Post
I think I may take a break from this site again. Reviewing this statement is very "out-of-line".

Thanks everyone again for the insight now and previously on alcoholism. I am wiser and stronger because of it.
I apologize. Didn't mean to offend you.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
today4me

I edited post above Hammerhead as I didn't understand your statement. I do now and no apologies necessary. Thanks for responding to my post.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I would of never known though unless I tried - asking for a lunch date that is. Waiting for the opportunity to date - meaning excited.

I've found posts sometimes are so hard to interpret. I am not a snake in the grass. Come on now? LOL. Geepers, some of you read your posts earlier about getting out and about. That's all I'm trying to do. A lunch date is pretty simple.

Bottom line...........still have trust issues and admitting it is a very good step forward.
Admitting you have trust issues with a support group is a very good step.... but is vastly different than asking someone out on a date... and then questioning her. Honesty is good ... GREAT in both cases.... but you are questioning her integrity.... and it may be something completely different... for her.... so it could be a red flag for HER.

Some folks view dating differently. I see dating not as an activity to fill in my calendar... but time spent with a worthwhile person... one worth getting to know better... no matter where it leads to.

In an ideal world... the healthy way two people should ever get together is if they are both WHOLE and HEALTHY... neither looking for the other to do something for them.. or fill in an absence.

When someone asks me out... my first thought... who is this person and what do they bring to the table (good, bad and ugly)... that's not being shallow... that's being healthy.

Take care.

*no offense intended... none taken.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Hey man, the way you describe noticing tan lines around her breast and making it clear to her seemed a little on the creepy side to me. Maybe you had to be there and it wasn't creepy at all, just sayin.

Don't run off, just a internet forum thing.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
today4me

I mean today I admit I have trust issues still after going through the process of asking a woman out on a date. It's made me understand myself better.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
today4me

Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
Hey man, the way you describe noticing tan lines around her breast and making it clear to her seemed a little on the creepy side to me. Maybe you had to be there and it wasn't creepy at all, just sayin.

Don't run off, just a internet forum thing.

I give up! Goodbye everyone!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I give up! Goodbye everyone!
We all need a break now and then... getting healthy IS hard work.

Take care.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
today4me

You are all really jumping to conclusions on the tan-line thing. If you want the truth and story feel free to private message me. Respectfully, tpen.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hmm, yeah I'd chalk this one up to lessons learned. We women are already nervous about our looks on early dates with someone new. Plus there is a huge difference in 'lying' about our beauty secrets and lying about things we do that may hurt others. One isn't indicative of the other.