Notices

got through day one

Old 06-10-2010, 02:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

got through day one

worked graveyard and stayed up till 8 at night, 28 hours awake. took an ambien and slept for one hour. now im going on one hour sleep in 2 days. this has got to get better.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had terrible insomnia for my first six months but I stupidly didn't do anything to really help it. I just mainlined caffeine and did all the wrong things. These days I limit caffeine, get exercise most days (I have lost over 50lbs in the last 18 months) and do things like burn essential oils of lavendar and marjoram.

Congratulations on your first sober day. May it be the first of many :-) You're doing great. Keep posting here with us, even if you slip. Just keep coming back :-)

There are some good, safe, herbal over the counter preparations that might be safer than ambien. I took it myself during my drinking and as still discovering the things I said and did while under it's influence. Two friends have also died while sleep walking under it's effect. One was hit by a car and another one fell off a bridge. It's a very dangerous drug. Take good care of yourself.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Backtender & welcome. Insomnia is really common. I had trouble sleeping for the first month. My mind seemed to not want to sleep when apparently my body did. I think the main thing as Tiger said above is to eat well and exercise helps as well as it releases the bodies natural chemicals to make us tired.

Hope you get some shut eye soon, and hope to see you back here.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would say you will collapse from that record of sleep soon. I didn't have quite that amount of insomnia, but may it propel your efforts in staying sober so you don't have to relive it again. One day at a time.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It WILL get better. Just take it One second at a time.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Toro Solo

BT, I'm sure it will get better if you didn't have insomnia before you can be pretty certain that this will be short-lived. One thing to remember is that being tired is way better than being tired and hungover. Hang in there.
nn
day 17
Old 06-10-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I use a relaxing honey tea, melatonin and sometimes Valarian....also you can try plain old Benydryl, but not every day because it loses it's power...it's an allergy medication that makes you sleepy....Calcium (like in ice cream) also makes me yawn.

try to get into a normal sleep pattern and be sure it is cool and dark...in a few days or so, you will be getting more sleep and it will be real restful, sleep.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

The insomnia is really frustrating. I tried to make myself rest even if I couldn't sleep. After about 2 weeks I starting getting good sleep (as opposed to alcohol-induced) and my energy started getting better, too. It's nice to finally wake up in the morning and actually feel good. Hang in there:ghug3!