Notices

Depression

Old 06-08-2010, 05:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression

Hi All-

I am almost six months sober and working an AA program. I am just wondering if any of you a bit further down the road than me have struggled with depression in early recovery. I am thinking I might need to get on some meds but I am not sure. Is this something that people typically experience in early sobriety?

2be
Old 06-08-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

For me, my depression began long, long before I started drinking. So, I needed to get it properly treated before I could stop drinking, because before that, I honestly didn't care enough to put the work into recovery that I needed.

But, alcohol causes depression and you might find that your depression will lift. I think it would be a really good idea to talk to your dr and see what he/she thinks.

I hope you feel better.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me, the depression was worse while drinking but easier to ignore. I have only been clean for a little over a month and now i am facing my issues while before I was just trying to forget about things. Haven't had any suicidal thoughts since being sober - feeling generally more optimistic and hopeful. Took Lexapro in the past which helped relieve depression, anxiety, and reduce the urges to drink and smoke cigarettes. i stopped the Lexapro so i could drink again. Also took Wellbutrin which really lifted my mood almost immediately. Stopped this to drink as well. This time I'm trying sobriety without meds. Coming off of SSRI's (Lexapro) is not easy. Coming off of Wellbutrin was not a problem (different type of anti- depressant). Anti-depressants are very effective but have their drawbacks. Meds have their place for many of us but i am trying to return to how i felt as a child, before i had to deal with any emotional distress, drinking on non-drinking related. i wish you well and congrats on the 6 months!
Old 06-08-2010, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Everyone works differently of course. I know people who come in depressed, we tend to tell them to give it six months before letting it be too concerning (unless clinical of course).

Are things looking up at six months compared to before? Things getting in order? Or are there unresolved issues popping up be it finances or relationships?

I needed medication and just now weaned off of them at three years. Glad I took that step. I tried going off the medication at a year and knew I was much more stable at that time on them. So, I went back on them.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

Your depression may have nothing to do with your alcoholism..or may have everything to do with it.. why not see a counselor first, instead of instantly thinking meds..you might have some "stuff" worth experiencing and exploring that could make you feel a lot better..

Last edited by smacked; 06-08-2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: typo, as usual