Notices

How come you don't drink anymore?

Old 06-07-2010, 11:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

How come you don't drink anymore?

Someone originally posted this on another site. This was one of the most amazing things I have ever read – it literally brought tears to my eyes. It was like (other than one line) my mind wrote this, and it was telling my story. I’m sure many of you can relate. I wanted to share it. It is a quick story about someone explaining to their friend why they stopped drinking alcohol.

I copied this and pasted it in a document I keep. The document gives reasons and inspiration not to drink. It also lists consequences. I started it on day 1 and it has grown to over 7 pages. Please read on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"How come you don't drink anymore?" a renewed acquantance from long ago asked the other day.

"Anymore than who?, I asked.

"I mean any longer. How come you don't drink anything these days?"

"Drink? I drink...coffe, milk, juice, tea, soda pop, water..."

"I mean drink" he said. " you know, booze."

"Oh, booze, No I don't drink booze any more, you're right," I said, "I couldn't trust it anymore. It turned on me. Once my friend, it became my enemy."

"Maybe you got a bad batch." he said.

"No the sauce is the same. I changed. Becasue I have this illness of alcoholism, my tolerance weakened. Alcoholism doesn't come in bottles, it comes in people."

"Sounds pretty confusing" the fellow said

"You think you're confused," I said, "You should have seen me. I drank for happiness and became unhappy... I drank for joy and became miserable... I drank to be outgoing and became self centered... I drank for sociability and became argumentative and lonely."

"I drank for sophistication and became crude and obnoxious...I drank for friendship and made enmies... I drank to soften sorow and wallowed in self pity... I drank for sleep and wakened without rest."

"I drank for strength and felt weak.. I drank medicinally and got sick.. I drank because I thought my job called for it and I lost my job.. I drank for relaxation and got the shakes.. I drank for confidence and became uncertain.. I drank for courage and became afraid.. I drank for assurance and became doubtful... I drank to stimulate thought and blacked out... I drank to make conversation and it tied my tongue... I drank for warmth and lost my cool. I drank for coolness and lost my warmth... I drank to feel heaven and came to know hell. I drank to forget and became haunted. I drank for freedom and became a slave...I drank to erase problems and saw them multiply... I drank to cope with life and invited death ..or worse... I drank becasue I had the right and everything turned out wrong."

"Gosh!" My friend exclaimed, "That must have taken a bunch of booze to get you in that shape."

"Just one" I told him, "The first one. For me one is too many, and a thousand is not enough."

"So that is why you don't drink anymore...?"

"Yep, I make it a rule, I DON'T DRINK WHILE I'M SOBER!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope I didn’t break some protocol by posting this from another site. I really wanted to share this though.

Ghost

Last edited by Dee74; 06-07-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"Alcoholism doesn't come in bottles, it comes in people."

Indeed.
My friends can drink and go fo a run the next morning where as l will need 4 beers just to get out of bed.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is awsome... Thanks! ;-)
Old 06-08-2010, 02:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post Ghost
Old 06-08-2010, 02:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

really nice....
Old 06-08-2010, 02:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Ghostly. This made my eyes a little misty too.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well said....thx for sharing!!! Oh so true!!
Old 06-08-2010, 03:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Old 06-08-2010, 05:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for this ace post. Loved it.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's pure gold. I loved it.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Brilliant. Saved it in my own little file of all the great writings I find to help motivate me not do drink..Thanks for sharing Ghostly...gave me some more ammo other than my standard "Ohhh, I still drink, just not today"...or the "I'm on allergy medication"....

I thought the line "I couldn't trust it anymore. It turned on me. Once my friend, it became my enemy."....Soooo true...
Old 06-08-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Nice.

Rev
Old 06-08-2010, 08:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you for posting this and saving me the time and trouble (and mental exercise) of thinking up all those reasons. All true, for me. But now that I no longer dance with the devil he can't knock me off my feet.

I printed this out and will give a copy to my alcohol counselor to use with her groups.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank-you for the post..it hit home, and brought tears to my eyes....For every person who asks me why I don't drink...I think this would answer them!!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

O.M.G that could be me. I'm going to print it and keep it in my purse.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

"Yep, I make it a rule, I DON'T DRINK WHILE I'M SOBER!"
"Keep It Simple" in its most eloquent form... love it.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

"All but one line"

Same here Ghost - it might be a different line for you than me, but this is a conclusive story for me.... if I had any question at all before, as to whether I had reached the point where I was the problem - or whether I was just a social drinker who got "out of hand" once in awhile. Those questions are now answered. This post is one of the most valuable tools I now posess.

One million, trillion, billion 's Ghostly :ghug3
Old 06-08-2010, 04:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

thanks very much for this post. I was getting really strong cravings to drink, (wouldnt have caved in, no alcohol in the house) but this helped me to remember why I decided to become sober (and am on my 66th day!), and made it much easier to bear.

I always reflect on how things are so different for me now. I may crave a drink at bed time, but when I resist, I wake up feeling happy with myself, which is what I was aiming for while I was drinking but could never have.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I always reflect on how things are so different for me now. I may crave a drink at bed time, but when I resist, I wake up feeling happy with myself, which is what I was aiming for while I was drinking but could never have.
Amen!!
Old 06-09-2010, 03:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I just wanted to share something else with you guys. Earlier, I met up with some friends I havent seen in over 10 years. Back then, we used to binge drink alot but I wasnt a daily drinker yet. we went out for a meal, and I think this would have been a real vulnerable situation for me. Particularly with the brief desire to have a drink for old times sake. I certainly wasnt sure when I'd see them again.

But this post came to my mind, and I actually resisted the urge to join in. I was asked the usual questions, and gave 'health reasons'. Instead of forcing the issue, it seems my friends really respected that I was choosing not to drink! a couple even asked me what my secret was! I certainly dont see them as alcoholics, but it felt really good to be in a situation where abstinence was being percieved as a strength and this really made me feel validated.

looking back on it, my life has really changed and I think part of the reason I started to drink daily was to try and recapture those care free days. I must have felt that getting intoxicated would give me a brief reprieve from my ever increasing list of responsibilities. But seeing my old friends made me see how much life had moved on, and I think, has helped me become a little more accepting of the changes that have happened in my life.

But i just wanted to thank Ghostly again for such a wonderful post.