Notices

3 months sober but most NA meetins are 45 minutes away

Old 06-07-2010, 08:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post 3 months sober but most NA meetins are 45 minutes away

hi i'm jp and i've been addicted to opiates for about 10 years. I had surgery and never quit taking the pills. I progressed from hydrocodone to oxycontin and then to whatever i could get not to go into dt's. I got in trouble finally after years of not getting caught and spent 2 nights in jail. I had tried to quit twice before alone with little success. This time has to and will be different! This time i have been going to outpatient program(9 hours of group + 1 individual session a week) and it has helped a lot. I haven't used in 3 months and life seems to be getting better daily instead of worse like before. I'm relearning how to communicate with others while sober after years of selfishness and reclusion! Anyway thats the jist of it. peace love & stay sober 1 day at a time!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Congratulations on 3 months! So, are you not going to meetings because they are 45 mins away?

Someone asked me this question once "how far would you travel to get loaded?" My answer was "as far as I had to go I guess".

I was told to chase my sobriety like I chased the bag!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome jp! Glad you are here. Congrats on 3 months! This is a great place to find support. I go to different recovery fellowships--one of them is NA. Just wanted to say "Hi" and "Welcome". We do recover.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi tigerbait

I'm not sure from your post versus the heading whether you think you need NA or not, but I think SlverMag makes a really excellent point regardless

Congratulations on 3 months!
Welcome to SR!
D
Old 06-07-2010, 10:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

forgot 2 say i dont have car now. so i cant get to them as much as i'd like.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

3 months sober + most NA meetings are 45 minutes away + i dont have car

Originally Posted by tigerbait View Post
hi i'm jp and i've been addicted to opiates for about 10 years. I had surgery and never quit taking the pills. I progressed from hydrocodone to oxycontin and then to whatever i could get not to go into dt's. I got in trouble finally after years of not getting caught and spent 2 nights in jail. I had tried to quit twice before alone with little success. This time has to and will be different! This time i have been going to outpatient program(9 hours of group + 1 individual session a week) and it has helped a lot. I haven't used in 3 months and life seems to be getting better daily instead of worse like before. I'm relearning how to communicate with others while sober after years of selfishness and reclusion! NA meetings on web sounds like a solution to days without ride to meeting. Anyway thats the jist of it. peace love & stay sober 1 day at a time!
Old 06-08-2010, 01:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Did you ever have an alcohol problem? The 12 steps of AA and NA are virtually identical, and many dually addicted people come to AA meetings. AA is a lot more available than NA but some groups are more accepting of addicts than others. You might try this.