Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

2 weeks sober, one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time!

Notices

2 weeks sober, one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time!

Old 06-07-2010, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile 2 weeks sober, one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time!

Hi everyone. I posted on my first day of sobriety and was completely scared about making it through my first weekend (Memorial) sober. I went and shared that fear in a meeting the Friday before and got a lot of great advise and a bunch of phone numbers. Well, I made it through that weekend, sometimes one hour at a time, but i did not drink. This past weekend I went to an annual AA canoe trip. I actually had a great time sober. I think that was the first time in a long time that I actually laughed. The fellowship, love and support that I recieved from that trip was exactly what I needed. I am now 14 days into my sobriety and still have a very long road ahead of me, but today i can breath a little bit easier. For all the newcombers, try and spend time with people from your meetings. Look for cookout's and get togethers with people in sobriety. I did not think that I would ever have "fun" again when i walked in the rooms and since i went on that trip, I realized that it is possible! For me, I can not hang out with my drinking friends, i can not be around people that can enjoy and drink safely. If I hang around those people and my friends, i get in my head that i want to have fun to, but see, i dont' have fun when i drink, and I need to keep reminding myself of that when my friends try to get me to hang out with them. Right now I can not, but down the road and with some sobriety under my belt... maybe.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Christina,

I'm glad you're doing well!

I also think that making big changes in early recovery is what works. I changed my daily routines and it was a big help to me.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree. I have been doing a lot of listening in my meetings and realized that my thinking is what got me here, so i need to stop thinking and start listening to others suggestions.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by ChristinaW View Post
This past weekend I went to an annual AA canoe trip. I actually had a great time sober. I think that was the first time in a long time that I actually laughed. The fellowship, love and support that I recieved from that trip was exactly what I needed. I am now 14 days into my sobriety and still have a very long road ahead of me, but today i can breath a little bit easier. For all the newcombers, try and spend time with people from your meetings. Look for cookout's and get togethers with people in sobriety. I did not think that I would ever have "fun" again when i walked in the rooms and since i went on that trip, I realized that it is possible!
Canoes and cookouts - wow, we don't have anything like that here. It sounds like fun.

There's a lot of friendship to be had in the fellowship. People genuinely wanting to be with you and, of course, wanting to be sober too. I am glad you are enjoying the benefits.

Well done on 2 weeks.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I still struggle with the thought that I won't have fun anymore and I'm 150+ days sober. I have my moments where I'm having fun, but usually don't really realize it until after the fact. ...and then I usually feel guilty for some reason...?

If nothing changes, then nothing changes.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love your post! As the AA big book says "we are not a glum lot". Your post is a perfect example of this. Keep up the good recovery.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Way to go!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on making it through the 3-day weekend! Your post is so encouraging. You can do it!

GG
Old 06-07-2010, 04:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on yr two weeks Christina, and thanks for the post

D