Notices

I surrender

Old 06-07-2010, 04:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I surrender

So tired of this kind of life. On the surface I seem to have it all....but I quietly drink myself to sleep with 2-3 LARGE glasses of wine. I'm rarely publicly drunk because I am a professional person, which is why I am afraid of AA meetings. I have done this before with long periods of sobriety. I just want more from my life: I want to be more productive. I want to feel physically better. I want to become more socially involved. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi, good to see you waving the white flag.

There are a lot of professional people in AA, although a lot of time you would not necessarily guess what people do for a living. No-one has to share anything with people in AA, unless they want to.

If you want to try out a meeting, why not try one outside of your local area first if you are worried about being seen. There's a lot of support in the rooms of AA and people who understand what it feels like to feel like you do right now.
Good luck and keep in touch
Old 06-07-2010, 04:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome.. A.A. is Full of Professional Folks.. i Know a Judge and Several others Who All Attend My Home Group Meeting!
Old 06-07-2010, 07:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi 4today! This is a great place to come for support and you're doing the best thing for yourself by quitting now before things get any worse. I drank about the same amount as you, sometimes going for the whole bottle of wine. Even if I told myself in the morning I wasn't going to drink that day, I'd often find myself at the liquor store by mid afternoon.

It's a relief not to have it consume my life anymore, and I know it will be for you too. Keep reading and posting!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good for you for reaching out for support. It's hard to give up old habits but it can be done. I was a chronic relapser who has six months sober tomorrow, so it IS possible to stop drinking and stay sober.

I agree with finding a meeting out of your area so that you won't be 'seen'. But be advised, there are lots of 'professionals' in AA and all there for the same reason: to get and stay sober. Give it a good try. Lots of support and understanding in those rooms.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi 4todayinTN

I was a professional person too - sadly I dismissed the idea that alcoholism was progressive and I was getting worse...

I drank that profession away after many occasions of acute embarrassment and public shame.

Personally I think outside help - whether AA or some other recovery programme or some form of counselling or support - is the easier option.

D