Notices

My first post

Old 06-05-2010, 10:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
viper_x88

My first post

I have been drinking just about 10 to 12 beers a night every single night for about 6 years. I might take a day or 2 off every 3 or 4 months. Well I'm not a violent, falling down stupid drunk, just a calm drink alot kind of guy. I go to work or school everyday, dont feel the greatest but go, I spend time with my wife and kids. Life seems to be going good except my health. I never feel good. so one day i quit with some help from a counselor and a generous doctor whom prescribed me 25 mg librium to taper off of just in case i would have withdrawels, i seemed to swim by that week and stayed sober for 4 months, then my fam and i went camping with some friends on memorial day weekend and they were all drinking so i thought i haven't drank in 4 months, a few wouldn't hurt, and that's all i drank was about a six pack. Man i felt really guilty about it, i felt like i let everyone down. Noone said much about it and now i find myself craving it again like i did before, since then i have got drunk every other day 4 times now. I a now know I can't just have a few beers on occasions without me craving it like i did, I don't want to repeat that all over again... Can i just stop again and not worry about withdrawels?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Nick

Welcome.

Withdrawal is so unpredictable. None of us can predict what your withdrawals will be like, or if indeed you'll have them better or worse than last time.

The best thing to do is see a Dr before you stop tho I think.

Whats your plan for staying stopped?
D
Old 06-05-2010, 11:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

hi nick! It's good that you see yourself going back to old patterns and want to stop before things get worse. Like Dee says, there's no "one size fits all" when it comes to withdrawals. Sometimes I felt just as bad after a few days of moderate drinking as I did when I had a day of heavy drinking.

Welcome to SR by the way. This is a great place to come for support!