Notices

first night at a bar...

Old 06-05-2010, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Toro Solo

first night at a bar...

not the best time.. had to go for a friends birthday gathering.. just us so that helped..but soda water really doesn't do much to loosen me up!
made it through,left early, came home and went to bed...
I really enjoy the days a lot more than the nights these days.
day 13
Old 06-05-2010, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very good NN! I have been surrounded by lots of drinking events in my 60 days so far and it is a mixture of feelings for sure.

Waking up sober and fresh is SO worth it!! Good for you!! Hang in there!
Old 06-05-2010, 08:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it.

That kind of thing was too stressful for me.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, since you have experience with drinking and quitting (the cycle and the crap), you must know it doesn't make sense to see a need to "loosen up."

Not drinking at that event is definitely a good thing. It was more like 2 months (not 2 weeks) before I was in a drinking context. And it took about 2 months to start work on the mass exodus of empties (as a sloppy alcoholic bachelor). It was a huge feat for me to get rid of them by taking them to the place where more could be purchased and take the deposit money - which amounted to more than just "coins," twice; ahem. Maybe you should avoid the contexts like these during your first two months. I realize there is something to be said about living life and not hibernating.

When I think about it, I think I have now reached the longest stretch of no drink ever (199 days) - since 1987.

Anyway, keep a good thing going.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

notnormal, the nights will get better, promise.

I'm glad you made it through your night, but I've got to tell you, I avoided those situations as much as I could. Everyone understood while I bailed on them too. It really wasn't two years into my sobriety that I could do that and be real cool kicking back diet cokes. And even then, it's not a regular thing for me. If I hang out in a barber shop long enough, I'm gonna get a hair cut.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by vegibean View Post
If I hang out in a barber shop long enough, I'm gonna get a hair cut.

This thread was worth it just for that quote from Vegi.

I know your feelin down NN, it sucks to go to these things and see everyone drinkin. Give it some more time. Hopefully soon it won't bother you and you can totally enjoy yourself without the alcohol.

Hang in there. Nice job goin out and not drinkin.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done!!! Thanks for sharing and yes the nights get better. Keep it going one sober day and night at a time
Old 06-05-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

hiya notnormal! Good job making it through that night.

I think the other people on this thread are making good points. Personally, at 49 days sober I have not yet been in a bar, and I imagine it's going to be at least another 49 days before I consider it! Kinda strange considering I'd typically go out at least 2 nights a week back before I quit -- but I'm getting used to it.

SO, just in case this helps, what I'm gonna add is remember that you can do other things for your friends if you need to duck out of a birthday . . . burn a CD for them, bring them a treat or an inexpensive gag-ish gift, offer to do them a big favor, you know? At least for me, that's a whole h*ll of a lot more considerate than I would have been showing up at a bar and getting wasted back in the old days! Or grinding my teeth with a club soda in hand . . .
Old 06-05-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not surprised you were miserable NN - 13 days is great, but it's just not very far along the journey.

To me, that's like sticking your head in a lions mouth....you made it but it's not something you'd want to do regularly just yet.

I know with some of us the drive to be instantly well and get on with our life is strong...but I fell so many times still trying to live my old life, just without alcohol.

You don't have anything to prove, man.
D
Old 06-05-2010, 05:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Brave move, I don't think I could handle that kind of atmosphere this early on. I enjoy following your posts, keep going!
Old 06-05-2010, 07:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Toro Solo

wouldn't have gone except dear friends 40th... didn't stay too long just long enough to share in the celebration.. for sure I'm not ready to go hang out in bars or clubs for a casual reason.
Thanks for caring everyone I really appreciate it.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Um you're seriously amazing that's awesome...I could NOT have done it like HELL NO. There is NO way. Good for you that is really awesome. It took a lot of strength I'm sure. I'm skipping out on a family party tomorrow because I know there is no way in hell I wouldn't drink. I am really proud of you and admire that you left before you drank and it shows that you are truly committed to living sober. Congratulations
Old 06-05-2010, 08:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That is awesome that you made it through, NotNormal!

If there are similar situations in the future, it's not a thing not to go...whatever, not going is no big deal.

There is an big, exciting life ahead - a sober one and it sounds like you're on a good path.