Notices

Newcomers, I have a message :)

Old 06-05-2010, 04:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Newcomers, I have a message :)

And this can apply for the rest of us, myself included, who do the whole "but I'm too tired, the meeting is too far away, I don't like the meetings by me", yadda, yadda, yadda.......

I'm going to be an SR martyr here for a second.

If you're really picking excuses to not get up and go to one, PLEASE hit one of them here, ESPECIALLY if you're struggling.

I've been to probably a kazillion live meetings, I've chaired them myself here at SR and I've attended a hand full of Pancakes and they're always empowering for me. If I've had a bad day, a meeting has been a great way to lift me up. I know that in my early recovery and when I was struggling, a meeting helped me when the cravings were bad, they truly helped me.

Here's the link of this site to check them all out.

Chat Meetings and Chat Discussions - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

And the best thing about doing an SR meeting is you can sit in your PJ's, get relaxed and chilled, if you have a laptop you can do it anywhere in your home, have some tea, coffee, a snack and pick your nose if you want!! Oh wait, and popcorn.....

LMAO, hee hee hee.........

Anyway, I don't know if this will encourage anyone, I hope it will. I know that doing a meeting seems like such a hard thing to do, and NO!!! I am not being facetious, I know some of us can come up with tons of excuses not to but I'm just trying to encourage you to try the ones here.

Ok, over and out, I'm stepping off my
Old 06-05-2010, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How does the online meeting work? 9:00 tonight?
Old 06-05-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hope,

They are held in the chat room. Go there well ahead of time as you may need to install Java to chat.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope4Recovery View Post
How does the online meeting work? 9:00 tonight?
Hey Hope4, here ya go............

Look to the upper right hand corner of this web site, you can see if from where you're at right now, you'll see "chat room" with a little arrow pointing down. Click on that. You'll see a few options and you'll want to click on "enter chat room", the chat box will open in your browser and you'll see to the right a big yellow box with a list of different chat rooms. When there are people in there, you'll see all of their names listed underneath.

You'll want to RIGHT CLICK on "meeting room" to enter and you'll see a little box that reads "join room", click on that and you're there.

Hope that was easy to follow. Hope you'll join one of the meetings even if you just hang out for an hour, you'll get to see how they work.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks. It works.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks VegiBean are they always at 9pm ET?

Soph
Old 06-05-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soph View Post
Thanks VegiBean are they always at 9pm ET?

Soph
I don't think so Soph, but go check out that link at the top that I posted, it will take you to the section of SR's site that has all the meetings listed, and it will tell you what days, times and what the topic of the meetings are.

I believe one of them is for Family's of Addicts, so that would be a good one for family members. Pancake's is always good for all of us, whether new at this, or having experiences to share.

Check them out, I'm sure there's one that you can fit in your schedule on a day or time that you're just "chillin'"
Old 06-05-2010, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

YaaaaaaaaaHOOOEY!!!!

Yah to Vegibean for posting this! Awesome girl! You and so does SR!!!!

I know Decbaby is having her "Friends and Family" Meeting tonight at 9:00 pm EST in our very own Chat Room/Meeting Room!!

Thank you again Vegibean for this vote of encouragement to all of our members! Let's keep our SR Meetings "ALIVE" and hungry for our members!! We ALL need these meetings New, Old in between! They are an awesome part of our growth and lives in Recovery!

Love to all,

Pancake xo
Old 06-05-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awakening...

I've never been able to get into the chat room. I've tried working with java and everything.
Maybe someday the right techie whiz will join SR and enlighten me! Meanwhile, have fun in chat peeps.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WakeUp View Post
I've never been able to get into the chat room. I've tried working with java and everything.
Maybe someday the right techie whiz will join SR and enlighten me! Meanwhile, have fun in chat peeps.
I know mattcake79 had some experience on this one. I had issues before too, and all of a sudden I'm good....??? Weird.

What browser are you using? I'm using Firefox now. I've also had issues in my online classrooms when trying to watch our online lectures, and then learned that Internet Explorer would let me view them.

I hope you can figure it out, the meetings on here are great!!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You're welcome Pancake, I'll be thinking of you while I'm eating at the Cracker Barrel.

That's not a pilgrim with a plate of turkey, it's me with a plate of Wild Maine Blueberry PANCAKES getting ready to chow down. ------>

THANK YOU for doing your awesome meetings, and to anyone and everyone else that participates.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What browser and version are you using Wakeup? Do you get prompted to install or update Java?
Old 06-05-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awakening...

I'm using Internet Exporer, version 7.0. Ive installed the entire latest version of Java from their own site. Still can;t get in.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm using Internet Exporer, version 7.0. Ive installed the entire latest version of Java from their own site. Still can;t get in.
I have PM'd one of our friends on here to see if he can help or advise you what to do. Can you not open it at all? Just it just show a blank screen with an icon or something?

Would you be willing to try Firefox. It's a really easy download and install.

Hopefully we'll figure it out Wakeup.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Ok, vegibean, thanks. I've never used a browser of anything but IE, but I'll try anything.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Hi Wakeup

The java from IE7 is no longer suitable for most applications because of a court action that Microsoft lost concerning copyright issues. They use their own version since which is called Microsoft JVM, and from what you are saying, you have just re-installed it, i'm thinking.

The proper Java to use is the one from Sun Microsystem. The link is below as well I have pm'd a link [in case the below link maybe deleted] to a page which will help you uninstall the IE7 java and install the correct Sun Microsystem Java. It's seems a bit techie, but just follow the directions and you will be up and running in no time with the real Java!

Java Tester - What Version of Java Are You Running?

RR
Old 06-06-2010, 08:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread, Vegi

The chatroom is open 24/7, even if there isn't a meeting underway, OpenChat is available to all members who wish to discuss recovery, receive support and encourage our newcomers Personal note, the SR Chat was invaluable during my early weeks of recovery, and it still is - it's a blessing, knowing that you're not alone.

Our current scheduled meetings are listed in the Chat Forum, where you can also find a chatroom troubleshooting guide:

Chat Meetings and Chat Discussions - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Wakeup, these threads from the Technical Issues forum might also be helpful:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-get-chat.html

In a nutshell: remove *all* Java applications listed in your computer's "Add/Remove Program" page, then reboot, download the latest Java from java.com, *reboot* and then try to enter the chatroom - rebooting after each change is particularly important. If you're still unable to get into chat, please Pm me.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Mattcake - Very good point about the open chat, it is available 24/7.

Wakeup - here is the link to download Firefox:
Mozilla Download
Old 06-06-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

mattcake, thank you so much!!!

wakeup, I think that's what I had to do too, and it helped. I'm totally chat room ready now.

EVERYONE!!! Thank you very much for supporting this thread. I'm glad to see it made it past one day on the board. I did want everyone to have a chance to read my "martyring", lol!!!!

Old 06-06-2010, 09:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Happy Sunny Sunday Greetings Friends!

Vegi....this has turned out to be an AWESOME Thread and once again kind regards to YOU for the Martyrdom Post! (*LOL's)

Wakeup I've been using Mozilla Firefox for about 6 -7 years now at least and LOVE it. I don't ever use Explorer and haven't for as many years. It is so susceptible to viruses and just plain bad. I am certain once you get Mozilla downloaded and re-install the correct Java you will be SO HAPPY to be in our Chat Room and enjoying Friendship, LOVE, Support and Meetings with the rest of us!

I LOVE our Chat Room and the support, LOVE and fellowship in there is UNBEATABLE!!!! If I'm just havin' me a sad and blue day I go straight to the Chat Room and it immediately gets happier (*after Pancake has a big cry) cuz she knows how much she is LOVED hear on SR!

Thank YOU to SR to ALL of you! OK...now I'm turning your fab thread into a "gratitude thread" Vegi??? Dingus!

LOVE to ALL, Pancake xo