Notices

Day 4 and feeling apprehensive

Old 06-04-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 and feeling apprehensive

So I am on day 4 and feel really really good about it. However, we are heading out to the cabin today for the weekend and there are way too many associations out there. Not only for drinking but smoking as well (I quit that 19 days ago!!!) But out there, I found it really really really hard to not smoke, so I can't imagine what it will be like this weekend without getting to smoke and have a drink. Feeling very very anxious right now, and need to work through it. I actually don't even want to go out but that is not somethign that will happen. Everyone cross your fingers for me because I think this will be one weekend I need a lot of luck.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Bazel, great job on making it to day 4. For me, it was usually the places that I would want to go that I had to stay away from. If I knew all my friends were going out on a Friday or Saturday night, I had to do something else. I knew that if I put myself in that position, 1. I would either drink and then just start that cycle over again or 2. I would have a crappy time being sober and watching everyone drink. I have been sober at bars and clubs and for me, it was horrible.

How come you have to go? Cant you just say that you dont want to go? With only 4 days, I think that going into this environment can be very difficult. If you do go and there is internet over there, I would bring the laptop or be connected to this forum while you are there. You need some sort of network to keep you grounded on why you are quitting alcohol.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I agree w/Recovery....if you're that worried about it, can you not go this time?

Welcome to SR!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Bazel - I agree with the others. There will be other times and you'll be more confident after you have a little more time sober.

If you decide to go anyway, can you find a way to be involved in physical activity while you're there? If you're doing the same things that involved smoking/drinking, you're setting yourself up. Have something to keep you busy (reading, exercising), take up wood carving or knitting while you're there, buy some fun fruity drinks to take with you....... Have something to hold onto, think about, and most importantly DO, that's different from the regular camp routine. Just my two cents worth.... Good luck and congrats on 4 days!!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with both of you about not going and I truly do not want to but I do have to especially this weekend of any weekend. We are putting out the dock and boat lift this weekend as we are away the following weekend, and my kids really want the boat in the water do go fishing, etc. and this is just something my husband cannot do by himself. Unfortunately we don't have internet access out there, I had the very same thought. I am not sure how I will do this but I keep telling myself that I made it without smoking, surely I can do this....(crossing my fingers) I really hope to come back Sunday night and brag that I made it. I have a feeling I am going to be very cranky this weekend especially if the weather is not cooperative.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Have some kind of a plan in place (like Artsoul said) for something to do when you feel like you want to use. Being cranky works, but it's kinda hard on the rest of the family.

Good luck to you. Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Coffeenut! Good point, no point making them suffer any more than they have already - I think I will be getting ALOT of exercise this weekend . Just so you all know, this has really helped, I was having a pretty good anxiety attack and my heart rate has slowed right down. Sure wish i had internet access out there.....Hope to positively post on Sunday - actually no, I WILL post positively on Sunday night! THANK YOU!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My family also has a lake home. I love going but I have not been there since I stopped drinking. And yes, we would love to take the kids boating and such but our other family members usually break out the wine at 5:00 PM when we are up there.
With only about 35 days now, I just can't go. My being sober has to be first.
I've put it over everything right now because if I am drinking, I am not dealing with reality.

It just comes down to leveling with everyone and saying we can't do it right now.