Notices

didnt make it

Old 06-04-2010, 05:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

didnt make it

i drank last night dont feel good about it. but im still here reading and writing, getting inspiration from everyones post. not going to give up.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I last relapsed I was told:
NEVER give up. Good advise. Hang in there!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's right ... don't give up!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks saphie, i wont give up
Old 06-04-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back and get right back on your feet. Also try to figure out why you might have relapsed. As long as you learn from it then it wasn't a total loss I figure. If you have that craving again, which I would imagine you will try and post here before giving in or at least I did and it saved me countless times. People here have a way of putting the world in perspective when we are going through that thick craving time.

Glad you are persevering.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks horselover, that sounds like really good advice
Old 06-04-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Backtender,

I can't tell you how many times I quit and then drank again - so I know what it feels like right now. Over and over again - the inability to stick to my resolve to quit nearly drove me insane. In AA we learn....

The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink. p24

I finally realised that what I was doing to quit was never, ever going to work. I was always going to pick up the next drink because my mental obsession to drink was so overwhelming I could never think it away.

In AA there is a solution to this in working the 12 Steps to get a spiritual awakening which removes the mental obsession to drink. It really has been a miracle for me.
I hope you find your way to recovery. Please seek out AA if you cannot do this on your own.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Backtender,

Glad you're not throwing in the towel !

I work some shift work , so I know what you mean about using alcohol as a sleep med. The first few weeks were pretty sketchy as far as any restful sleep went for me, ....but I began to not worry anymore about it at some point. For me, even getting off at 2 or 3am , if I had some energy , I would start doing something active during the hours I had spent drinking.

Eventually , I began to sleep 6, ...sometimes 7 hours,

I try to stay more focused on how grateful I am every night just before closing my eyes, ..and try to gather the same feelings as early as possible the next "morning"

I'm 60 days sober today, .....the last 30 were a hellava lot better than the first !

Keep the faith