Notices

Giving it another try....

Old 06-03-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Giving it another try....

Hi ~ I'm back...I have been trying for several months to finally quit drinking once and for all. I have made it to 4 days at a time and end up feeling great. Sooo, on my way home from work I pick up a bottle or 2 of wine to "celebrate" =( Feel like crap the next day and back to day 1 I go. After about a month and a half of that cycle I decided I needed to do something else. Last night I drove up to the local AA meeting and quickly ran in as to not give myself another excuse to not get out of the car. Wasn't too sure what to expect. I was the only newcomer in a big group. After the meeting leader said he had had a topic picked out but decided to change it last minute almost everyone in the crowd said "how about we do step 1". I felt so welcome. I was a little uncomfortable when everyone was sharing their stories because they were pretty much talking directly to me. Although I understood and appreciated why they were doing that. When it came time for the leader to call on me I just said that I wasn't ready to share my story. Everyone seemed to be really understanding. I got several phone numbers from some women in the group. Everyone of them told me to call them anytime 24/7. I have to say that walking into that meeting I had already had the idea that right after I would pick up some wine and head home. By the end of the meeting I had no desire. I went to Starbucks and headed home =) As scary as it was, walking in that front door was the best thing I could have done last night. I have a feeling I am finally on the right path. Day 2.....=)
Old 06-03-2010, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Congrats on day 2! Thanks for sharing your experience. That sounds like a good group that you went to. Glad you got some phone numbers. We do recover.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Way to go, FreshStart!! It takes alot of guts to walk into that first meeting, but from the sounds of it, it was meant just for you! That's the way I felt when I first came to SR. And like you, I'd tried cutting down and/or stopping for at least a year with no success. I just ran out of options and didn't have any energy left to continue in that crazy cycle. What a relief not to have to run up to the store for my fix every day. I'm so happy for you!! Keep it up ODAAT!
Old 06-03-2010, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great to hear FS
Old 06-03-2010, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome news FS. I admire your courage and strength. You are much like me in that I just do instead of thinking too much about it because I talk myself out of it.

Take it one day at a time and looking forward to your journey.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good for you for going to a meeting. The support there can be crucial to staying sober. Whatever method you use to stay sober, make it your first priority. It IS possible to stay sober. I was a chronic relapser but am now going on six months sober. Take it one day at a time and be good to yourself. Welcome back! :ghug3
Old 06-03-2010, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back FRESHSTART
D
Old 06-03-2010, 03:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Glad you are here!
Old 06-04-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! Day 3 is going OK. I went to another meeting last night. I am going to try to be there Mon-Thurs at least for the next couple of weeks since I will be out of town the next 2 weekends. I don't have a sponsor yet. I guess I will have to ask someone how to get one??? Also, I got the Big Book last night. It's actually a pretty good read =)