Notices

My Method?

Old 06-03-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Method?

I wanted to share what I have done to get better and get responses, words of encouragement, or advice from those with more experience

I quit drinking on May 3, 2010 with the aid of antabuse. I was drinking approximately ten drinks a day prior to that and having major issues at work, etc. The writing was on the wall. I also started taking prozac and hyroxyzene (@ May 1) (as needed) to combat stress pangs. So far, I have stayed sober and the medication has really helped. As addicted and focused I was on alcohol the antabuse really keeps my mind off of it, because I know its not a real possibility. I struggle with boredom primarily now. I am trying to kickstart some old habits and am finding it difficult. I am seeing a psychologist once a month and under a doctors care. I have not gone to AA meetings yet, but may. I have lost weight, feel better, look better, sleep better and eat better and most importantly the drama of drinking is over. My spouse is very relieved that I actually got started. I feel like this was a good way for me to start and now I need some guidance to get to the next level.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Toro Solo

If I might suggest, try a meeting. They do a good job of filling the void of time that drinking took up. And often, they don't s**k.
good luck,
Old 06-03-2010, 09:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would really encourage you to try an AA meeting. They make such a difference for me. (And they're often fun.)
Old 06-03-2010, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Congrats on your sober time!

I'm newly sober (about 150 days), but I do AA meetings, actually 90 meetings in 90 days to start and now about 2 - 3 a week.

I go to a great place (very solution oriented group) in Cumming GA. PM me if you'd like directions. I'd be happy to meet you there and show you around.

The program of AA has not only saved my life, but it's shown me a great way to live.

Take care.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

It sounds like you're doing well!

I am not an AA person, but from the beginning I knew I had to work on my recovery every day. I read a lot of recovery-related/well-being books. I exercise, outside, if possible. And, I take time for myself. I have found that recovery is about balance.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I look at sobriety as a new me which it really is for all of us. So I started eating healthier, doing new activities and trying new things. Exercise, reading, travel, cooking, etc. I am breathing in deep everyday and taking this great life in.

Go for it!!! Keep on going!!
Old 06-03-2010, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

read a lot of recovery-related/well-being books.

Any suggested books for me to read, I respect AA and have tried it in the past, but also like the sort of recovery recommended in the alcoholism and addiction cure - attacking it on multiple fronts.

I would be interested in any suggested readings that have proven helpful. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One of my favorites is "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp.

There's also a Book Club under the Social Group forum here on SR where folks have recommended/traded favorites.

Developing new habits and re-adjusting our thinking and way of life around recovery takes time...our physical and emotional mechanisms are still recuperating from years of toxins.

My experience has been that as long as I continued to give myself time to heal, not to rush the process, and take the time to develop and get to know my new self, things just began falling into place.