Notices

Need Help

Old 06-03-2010, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Help

I wan't to give up alcohol so badly. Already lost everything I considered important. Today, couldn't face going into work, called in sick and said I was going to see the DR this morning, my boss is already aware of my drinking problem. By 12.00pm already made my mind up to go to the off licence (I need the alcohol "so badly")
There's so many from SR that have made the transition to sobriety.
Why can't I?
Old 06-03-2010, 08:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What is an Off License? Is that a pub or a bar?

Ultimately if you want to quit, you'll have to endure some pain. If you detox medically (highly recommended) it will be a lot easier and quicker. Talk to your Dr. about this.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Off license is the equivalent of a state store, except you can also buy tobacco and it stays open longer than grocery stores (which in the UK sell liquor too).
Old 06-03-2010, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm from UK, the "off licence" is a local shop that is allowed to sell alcohol.
I'm fed up by being sick and tired!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i was in your shoes 30 days ago. really wanting to quit but couldnt. I got a prescription for Antabuse from my doctor and was able to tough out three days of not drinking and started taking the pills after that. Once I started taking them, i pretty much forgot about alcohol as a real possibility, because I didnt want to get sick. I have been without alcohol for 30 days, my body feels much better. I have lost a little weight, my appetite is back and I am sleeping better. I still have a long way to go on a lot of issues, but the antabuse really helped me get started which was what was the most difficult thing. I probably saved $600 over the last 30 days at least in not drinking as well. I would be honest with your doctor, he may be willing to let you go inpatient for a few days if you cant do it on your own to get ready for the antabuse. you cant drink with antabuse in your system because it will make you deathly ill and it stays in your system residually for some time which prevents you from relapsing. I just take it at night and know I am good for the next day at least - its a big relief. find a way to get started - any way!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have previously been in detox and have taken "librium" as part of reducing withdrawal symptoms but have never been introduced to "antabuse" although I have read leaflets about it. How do you find it as reducing your craving?
Old 06-03-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I detoxed on my own (too ashamed to tell even a doctor) and never tried antibuse (sp?) but I did go to AA meetings and usually felt better after I left. The best part of stopping, recovery, and the meetings was when I started to do the things that the folks with some good sobriety time had done.

I always figured I could think my mind into correct thinking and seemed to almost always end up disappointed, discouraged, and/or drunk.......AGAIN! Reality was I had to act my way (take actions) into right thinking. I'd heard that at AA meetings and blew it off because it seemed like too much work. I guess that's the good thing about being out of options, you get willing to try new stuff pretty quickly.

Getting "dry" is rough... working a program of recovery makes staying dry progressively easier and makes life a whole lotta fun. Heh...it STILL seems odd to hear myself tell someone life can be fun without drinking - but boy oh boy is it!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

antabuse has no effect on craving, but the knowledge that just one stiff drink will make you deathly ill kills the desire to drink. I found myself drinking a lot of la croix waters instead for the first few weeks as I was so used to having something in my hand, but over the last few days the desire for that "drink in my hand" has dissipated. Naltrexone is a drug that can be taken to reduce cravings but I havent tried it. Personally, the antabuse works well, its a matter of filling in the down time with good healthy habits...
Old 06-03-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
I'm from UK, the "off licence" is a local shop that is allowed to sell alcohol.
I'm fed up by being sick and tired!

Hi Blue,

Many of us alcoholics cannot do this on their own. Can you get to an AA meeting and ask for some help?
Old 06-03-2010, 10:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
I wan't to give up alcohol so badly. Already lost everything I considered important. Today, couldn't face going into work, called in sick and said I was going to see the DR this morning, my boss is already aware of my drinking problem. By 12.00pm already made my mind up to go to the off licence (I need the alcohol "so badly")
There's so many from SR that have made the transition to sobriety.
Why can't I?
One thing you could try is making some lists:

1. Everything you have already lost to alcohol
2. Everything you stand to lose if you keep drinking
3. How your life will be better/What you can accomplish if you DO stop drinking
4. Examples of difficult things you've done in the past, to remind yourself you have willpower.

Best wishes,
Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know how it feels to want to quit so desperately and not be able to. I was there for quite some time.

What I turned to to get through the first initial days was 1. Ice Cream 2. Carbonated Water 3. Ice Cream and then lots more ice cream and sweets! I spent the whole first week on another recovery site, posting and reading and posting and reading. That helped. I treated myself like I was sick and recovering from a grave illness (which was the truth).

On the other website I used, there were usually people in the chat room all hours of the day to help work though the moments when I thought I would give in. That helped.

Another thing that really helped me was reading the book "The Easy Way to Quit Drinking." Not sure why that helped but after I read that book, I have had not had a drink in 2+ years. Not a sip, nothing. If you do read it, I wouldn't follow the advice that says to wait to quit until you are done reading the book. Personally I think it is unnecessary to put off quitting till the next day. I read it after I had already been quit for 4 days.The "Easy" method that the book claimed to have...I am not sure exactly what it was. I know plenty of people that have read the book and it did nothing for them. Others who swear by it. I am not really in either category. I just know I haven't had a drink since I read it but I don't know if the book had anything to do with that.

Best wishes! Expect it to be hard. As alcoholics, I think we want an easy solution. Unfortunately, there really isn't one. It takes work and it takes moments where you want to give in but you don't.

Good luck! If I can do it, anybody can. It is never to late and never quit trying to quit. It took me 2 years worth of tries until my latest sober quit date. And I try to only look at my sobriety in terms of a day because it is much less overwhelming that way. Sometimes you must just say, I will not drink in the next 30 seconds and get through a day like that. If you decide to have a drink, wait 5 minutes before taking it. A lot of times, that 5 minutes will get you to 5 more minutes of sobriety and so on.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember being completely overwhelmed when I stopped drinking.

My life was in a shambles and I didn't know where to start.

Be patient with yourself and focus on today. Don't dwell on the future or even on tomorrow. Just don't drink today. You will find that you feel better and that gradually things in your life start coming together and it is such incentive to continue.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sobriety is underpinned by not drinking just for today. Take everything one day at a time.

Untill you stop taking that first drink then you will never be able to heal and get life sorted out. Even then it is piece by piece and one day at a time. Progress not perfection.

All The Best
Old 06-03-2010, 12:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Is this your first attempt to get sober? If you find you're unable to stop due to the withdrawal symptoms (anxiety, cravings, shaking, etc.), you may need to go to a doctor, or even the ER for detox. I can relate to your feeling of desperation and hopelessness. Stick close to this website and keep posting if you can. Also, welcome - you've come to a good place and you're taking the first step, which is admitting you have a problem and reaching out for help. :ghug3
Old 06-03-2010, 01:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I spent many years feeling that way. Quitting is rough but it does get better and eventually you find yourself full of self confidence at making the positive changes.

Welcome to SR and like Anna said....focus on today - the here and now. Seek the aid of your Dr. and know that you too can do this.

We all have battled those early days of sobriety and there are many different options available to you.

For me, I quit - got counseling and tons of support from SR.

You can do this!!!
Old 06-03-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Getting medical help to get thru w/d safely is a good idea. Once you're detoxed, maybe give AA a good try. I had to learn a whole new way of thinking in order to stay sober. But the results are worth the effort. I feel better, sleep better, don't waste any more money and time, and eliminate all the risk that comes from drinking. Give it a good try with the help of AA or counseling or another support method. Living sober rocks!
Old 06-03-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Blue2

I'd drunk for 15 years...and daily, all day, for 5 of those years. I had no idea how to get sober either...let alone possibly stay that way.

Go see your Dr. I don't know what they may or may not prescribe for you, but it's in your best interests to make sure you have medical supervision for your withdrawal.

I tried to take it a day at a time....every morning I made a commitment to try not to drink that particular day.

I posted a lot here - the support is amazing. There are other real life means of support too like AA or other programmes, or counselling....I hope your Dr can help you find out whats available locally.

You can do this, cos I and hundreds of others here have
You're not alone blue2

Welcome to SR
D
Old 06-03-2010, 03:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome. Lots and lots of good advice here.

Bottom line is you CAN quit. But, YOU have to do the work. And, once you do....you'll never want to go back. Ever.

Stick close to SR.