Notices

4 days in, a couple questions

Old 06-02-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4 days in, a couple questions

I stumbled on this site by accident but it looks like an awesome resource so here it goes...

I had been drinking pretty heavily every night, usually about 1/2-3/4 liter of vodka or whiskey for a good 2 years, before that I drank socially on the weekends, but pretty heavily at that. For these past couple years, it was more of a sleep aid than anything, I never drank during the day.

I had my last physical about 6 months ago and was honest with the doctor about my drinking. He ran blood work which (to his and my surprise) came back pretty good all things considered. I run and lift weights daily which he thought probably helped, who knows.

I quit for about a week after that just to see if I could, but went back to drinking, mostly to make getting through the days easier (sort of "If I just get through it I can go home and drink!", even if the day went well). I've taken a lot of steps to improving my life, and finally started to get serious about quitting for good, mainly working with a therapist.

anyways getting to my questions (thanks for reading my long story)...

I have had some great turns in my life recently and have decided to quit.

I'm 4 days in, have no urges to drink, and have really enjoyed waking up not feeling like I'm in a haze (I haven't been sleeping great, but I figure that's normal with where I'm at and why I drank).

Just today I started experiencing some serious sweating right in the middle of the day. This happened to me frequently while I was drinking, but I was pleasantly surprised after the first 24 hours when I didn't sweat much.

should I be worried about the sweating now or just see what happens? I was told by my doctor awhile back that all the alcohol would be out of my system in 24-48 hours when I quit, but with how much I drank, would it be unusual if it took longer?

I've also been lifting and running like I normally would, I have been drinking about a gallon of water a day, my workouts feel great, but it just hit me that maybe I should take it easy until the side effects like the excessive sweating go away? any experiences there?

Thanks for reading (if you made it this far!), I look forward to reading all of the information and stories here, what a great resource you've all created.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family and congrats on making four days sober. We really can't give medical advice here so I would suggest you see your doctor if your sweating gets worse or anything else turns up that bothers you. At four days you should be over the worst of the physical w/d but each person is different and the experiences can vary widely.

Quitting drinking now is a smart move on your part, so your health does not get worse. You are blessed to have had good results from your blood work. Not drinking will help you stay healthy, not to mention saving money and eliminating risk.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sweating

Sweating is either to relieve the body of excess fluid build-up that can't be removed in other ways or to lower your body temp. The alcohol is no doubt out of your body, but I would make a point to see your MD and be honest with him/her about quitting. If you drank as much as you said, withdrawal syndrome could be causing more problems than you are aware of. An MD familiar with you can be the best bet for those answers. Way to go on day 4 and keep it up. There's hope and there's help here. God Bless
Old 06-02-2010, 04:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you've decided to stop drinking before things get worse for you.

It's good that you've talked to your dr, and you should be over the worst of the physical issues around this time.