Notices

need to change...

Old 06-02-2010, 12:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need to change...

I am a Mom of 2, one child is not talking to me till I get help. I am going to counselling this Friday. hopefully they will find out why, when I drink I get angry and say things that hurt the family. Maybe I have some kind of metal problem...

I don't drink alot maybe 1-2 bottles of wine a week but I cannot stop at one drink I have to be greedy and finish the bottle, I so wish I was a social drinker. I hate me for that. I don't crave it, I just do it

I work from home. I am one of those feel sorry for me people. I think I should have the life of the rich and do things all the time I know life is not like that I get myself down

Any help, support, direction is appreciated.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Nikita. You will find some great support here. One of the things that pops out at me is you say you don't crave alcohol but you can't stop at one glass. Why does that happen? Normal drinkers can have one glass and not think about another.

Acceptance is a big part of sobriety. Instead of feeling down about what we don't have, we learn to be thankful for what we DO have. Feeling down and jealous in life is what leads many of us to drink.

I hope you can stick around and learn to live a sober life and be truly HAPPY about it. Sobriety is a gift that we learn to appreciate as times goes on.

Again, welcome.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

Glad you're seeking help.. that's the crazy thing about alcoholism, we'll still drink even though it is badly hurting people we're supposed to love and cherish.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

never thought of it that way....I always thought I could not stop cause I want to keep the buz going till I go to bed?
Old 06-02-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I hope that counseling can help you understand why you drink and how much better your life would be if you stop drinking. I wish you the best in your recovery. :ghug3
Old 06-02-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Nikita,

It's true that the problem does not lie in how much or how often that we drink, but what happens to us when we drink.

If we continue to drink knowing that alcohol has negative consequences for us, then there's a problem.

Counseling is a good idea. It helped me immensely, esp since my counselor was professionally trained in alcoholism and in recovery himself for many years. He understood exactly how I felt and I credit him for saving my life.

I used to wish I was a social drinker. Not any more.

It may not seem like it now, but it is possible to re-adjust your thinking, habits and way of life around not drinking and actually prefer it to social drinking.

I could never understand the only having one or two way of drinking. I drank to get drunk - period. It was all or nothing for me and I wouldn't trade my no-alcohol-days today for anything.

Pls let us know how things are going for you. Glad you posted. We get it.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Nikita

I did and said many things drunk I would never have said sober. It's part of the disease.

The 'normal' reaction would be simply never to drink again, and never have that stuff happen again - but some of us need help to do that.

I found feeling sorry for myself was a part of it too, as those kind of feelings made me want to escape my life and, as you say, keep the buzz going til bed.

I found my drinking was progressive. Eventually I wanted the buzz as soon as I woke up. Thats not a good place to be.

I'm glad you're seeing a counsellor now and I'm glad you're coming here.

I look forward to hearing more of your story Nikita
D
Old 06-02-2010, 03:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A moderate drinker for a woman is no more than 7 drinks per week. So 2 bottles makes you a heavy drinker.